Note to New Members ×

My Hood/Timberline summer clinics?

slopestar

I know they must be available. I would kill to go to summer camp. I worked for many years at Blackcomb for Kelly Jo back in the 90'S but that was at freestyle camps. I want to go as a camper and ride alpine. Thoughts?

----------

I've been to Mount Hood Summer Ski & Snowboard Camp as an adult for two years running and intend to go again this year.

In 2010 I went to the "adults only" session, which runs the last week in August, and it was awesome. Every morning we went up to the top of Palmer where there is groomed snow until early September. (technically maybe a glacier and maybe not). Most of the attendees were ski racers and ranged in age from 19 to about 75. I was in a class with only 2 other riders and we had expert training from a Slopestyle and BX coach (the late Mark Steagall). He had ridden alpine and knew a lot about it, but I was the only alpine rider in camp that session. Because our class was small I got a fair amount of individual attention. I stayed in the dorms with other adults and we basically had a blast. During the afternoons we went out surfing, hiking, and mountain biking, and after dinner we usually headed over to Govy, knocked back some brewskis and talked riding and racing.

In 2011 I wanted a more alpine experience so I signed up for one of the "kids" sessions. They only do "snowboard racing" camp through Session VI, which is early July. The other sessions are all freestyle. Not wanting to be in the dorms, I signed up for the "housing upgrade", which puts you away from the kids but is quite a bit more expensive, especially because you will want to rent a car for the week, too. But I had 5 days on the hill in bluebird weather with an expert coach (Billy Bordy). Once again I was in a small class and this time it was all racers and we did gates and a little freeride carving. Bordy is a dedicated alpine rider and has a lot of knowledge to share. Jon Winslow also coaches for MHSSC but wasn't there for my session. We did reviewed videotapes or our riding immediately after our gate runs and it was fun and informative. There was also better coverage in July and the snow stayed hard a little longer than in August, so I did more riding and finished each day exhausted. We also waxed and tuned our boards in the afternoon in MHSSC's excellent workshop.

I really can't decide which experience I liked better. I think being with the adult session is better if you're an adult and a first-year camper. It's more laid-back and you have time to get familiar with the area. But, I highly recommend both. Take your choice. Here is a link to their site:http://www.mthood.com/