Note to New Members ×

Redstone May wedding - should I bring my board?

Tabatha

Just as I was putting my board away for the season ... I have just been invited to a friends wedding in Redstone Colorado in late May (May 26th). I am thinking of going ... should I come a week early and bring my board (from Canada)? What would the conditions be like and where should I go? Aspen is an hour away ... thoughts / advice / ideas?

Never been to Colorado!

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that the only thing that might still be open then is Arapahoe Basin. Everyone else has hard close dates before then. If you are flying into Denver then making a stop on the drive out to Redstone might work out, depending on the conditions. If you are flying into Eagle, you would have to backtrack by car about an hour's drive. If you are flying into Aspen, the drive back is almost three hours. The snowpack is poor this year, and A-Basin could easily be melted away by then, but anything can happen.

Unless we get a bunch more snow, even if Arapahoe Basin is open, it is unlikely to be worth the cost & hassle to bring equipment from Canada. The coverage is pretty thin now and highs have been in the 50s in the mountains for a while.

By the way, since you've never been to Colorado, Redstone is quite pretty (but very small). Marble and Aspen are nearby. Try to make a point of getting to Aspen and a side trip to see the Maroon Bells. Can be very pretty that time of year.

Edited by John E