Note to New Members ×

Boiler Plate 4mm or 5mm

scrutton

You would need to contact Bruce Varsava at Coiler directly, maybe best by e-mail. I talked to Bruce at SES when I picked up my new board. I talked to Fin when I picked up my 4mm Boiler plate.

Bruce is making plates that are torsionally softer than the Boiler plate. Fin is supplying the mechanical parts underneath (the DIY plate kit).

The contrast is between the Boiler which in the 5mm is close to absolutely rigid, and the 4mm which is still stiffer than any plate I've made in my home workshop with wood/glass, vs. the Coiler plates which are much more similar in stiffness to the actual snowboard. Boiler and Coiler are based around quite different philosophies about how to maximise the benefits of the plate concept.

Fin's aim seems very much to keep the feet on the same plane, and take advantage of the additional torsional rigidity to minimise twist in the snowboard.

Bruce's aim seems to be to increase the isolation/damping properties of the plate concept by allowing flex to soak up even more of the bumps. His NSR boards are also made with considerable damping, all based on his personal racing experience.

Who's "right" only time may show.

It's pretty clear that Benjamin Karl's original plate is pretty much rigid, and he has had great success with it.

Apex seem to have softened their plate over time.

Free riders who ride isocline plates seem to like a softer plate than the original Apex or 5mm Boiler plate.

Best of luck at the NASTAR Nationals!!

SunSurfer

Edited by SunSurfer
Correct spelling Varsava

I think "who's right" will be determined not only by time, but also by riding preference and ability.

I was an early adopter and bought a 5mm plate and experienced all of the posted "incredible speed/edgehold" of using a plate, and also some of the low speed loss of peddle, locked in the turn, isolation.... so the 5mm, was too much for me, even though I am 200+ (probably a testament of my ability). I am also not Benjamin, nor ever will be!

On the flip-side, my 180Lb racer son was OK with the 5mm, but........

I did the milling-machine-slot down the centre of the plate to get some torsional flex back into the system, without much loss of fore-aft stiffness.

HUGE difference - :) :) :)

Son really liked it too--- riding was much better on mod'd plate.

So my personal vote would be for the 4mm version versus 5.

As for Bruce's magic carpet - based on the chairlift conversations I have had with him...it sounds like he would tune longitudinal and torsional stiffness per whatever your needs are (much like he will make the board to your needs)... either way the bomber mechanicals are a freakin work of art so you really cant go wrong there.