Note to New Members ×

Bam! You hit a fellow carver breaking their board. Do you replace the board?

fin

Are you obligated to replace a board you broke?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you obligated to replace a board you broke?

• YES, you need to replace the board. You made the mistake, you need to be responsable.
    • NO, you're not obligated to replace the board. These are the risks of riding on a public hill.

I've got to jump in here. The indisputable rule of the downhill person has the right of way holds. It is incumbent on the uphill person to absolutely pay attention to what's going on below her on the hill. AND it's incumbent on the downhill person to be mindful on just who is uphill from them. That being said, accidents DO happen. We ALL need to ride responsibly and take responsibility for our riding. Should something bad happen, it behooves us to step up and do the right thing. Sadly, that isn't always the case.

Actually there are several scenarios that would have a chance in traffic court.Sudden lane changes without signalling or sudden stops on a freeway for example.

Good luck with that. My brother had an idiot change lanes of him at an intersection, at the last minute, basically cutting his braking time from "enough room to stop" to "not a chance in hell". He rear-ended the guy, and guess who was at fault? The hit from behind rule is sacrosanct in traffic. Make your case if you want, but you won't win it.

That being said, accidents DO happen. We ALL need to ride responsibly and take responsibility for our riding. Should something bad happen, it behooves us to step up and do the right thing. Sadly, that isn't always the case.

Well said and a good example of what sets BOL community apart. The generocity of those in this community is amazing.

When I was injured at SES a few years back. The kindness of folks I barely knew humbled me. I am forever in debt of your kindness and selflessness.

I hope you didn't take what I wrote as an implication that you had any complicity in the terrible incident you were involved in.The hit and run and the pain it caused you is something no one should have to suffer for enjoying their hobby.The toughness with which you handled it was inspirational and Bryan is right about the community.

My apologies to the op for making invalid points and drawing the thread away from it's original point.My intent was not to make excuses but came out as such anyway.The videos for NICE do show some clips photos that illustrate some of the risk carvers take while in groups,however fun loving it may seem at the time.For my part, I did my best not to follow too closely with the follow cam.Not the greatest footage but no injuries either.This thread does make me think twice about who I will take closeup video or photos of,considering the risks of property damage and physical injury taken by both of us.