Note to New Members ×

Kirkwood is now a Vail Resort

ExcelsiorTheFathead

Kirkwood is good for carvers. For several years there was quite a good size group there. Definitely check it out if you can.

Daneille

id like to call myself a regular carver there..im there at least twice a week on my alpine board..id say i see another carver probably every other week..usually a different person to..to compare heavenly to kirkwood for carving, id say kirkwood is more technical, in the aspects that theres more blind drop offs(not cliffs, you just cant see the downhill side) and its less predictable..heavenly, you can see typically most the way down the mountain.and the big reason i go to kirkwood for carving is they groom the runs EVERY day..even if its dumping snow..heavenly..not so much.so heavenly can build moguls much quicker than kirkwood.plus kirkwood gets more, and better snow!

I'm talking a number of years ago when Tahoecarvers regularly went to Kirkwood. There would easily be 6-12 there at a time. Mt. Rose this season has been kind of the same. There were midweek days when there would be 10 carvers there, all unplanned. It was great! Here's to next season!

• 2 weeks later...

Tough to know how the purchase will affect Kirkwood with it's inconvenient location to Tahoe. I did see that Kirkwood had to close the entrance on the first (good) pow day on 3/2, but the place was back to normal on a non-pow day, 3/9. Finally enough coverage to put away the rockboard, though there were exposed rocks on 3/9. All those rocks may be history after this latest snowfall.

Edited by Jim
typo