Note to New Members ×

Major winter storm heading for Colorado

John E

There's a major winter storm headed for Colorado. Predicted to hit Denver Thursday PM and continue until Sat AM. Current predictions for as much as 18" of snow. Don't know how it will effect Aspen. Riding should be good if you can get there.

A storm like this could make travelling through DIA pretty sketchy. Cross your fingers.

Yes, Southwest has already Cancelled my flight :( which was to arrive @ 9:25 AM.

Next flight available arrives @ 2:45 PM (which seems to me to be a worse time storm-wise) so that may get Cancelled :(:( also.

Dang, too bad digger jr went so overboard with the sacrifices. Maybe if he'd just given up his second born, or half of his virginity, or one ski....? Guess maybe I'm glad I decided to go to SkES this year instead...

"OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH!

When have you ever had a bad time in Aspen? I have already sacrificed, 1: my first born, 2: my virginity, 3: my Northland 210cm Stein Erickson E 11 skis, to the Snow Gods. The only problem we will have at SES 2012 is if it snows too much. And I have a new Coiler coming that will see no rocks!"

Dang, too bad digger jr went so overboard with the sacrifices. Maybe if he'd just given up his second born, or half of his virginity, or one ski....? Guess maybe I'm glad I decided to go to SkES this year instead...

OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH!

When have you ever had a bad time in Aspen? I have already sacrificed, 1: my first born, 2: my virginity, 3: my Northland 210cm Stein Erickson E 11 skis, to the Snow Gods. The only problem we will have at SES 2012 is if it snows too much. ;) And I have a new Coiler coming that will see no rocks!

Think Positive!

As of 3PM Friday we've got about 14" of heavy, wet snow in Lafayette (north of Denver). Still snowing. Supposed to last until Sat AM.

This is an "upslope" storm. Most of the snow concentrated along the Front Range - east of the Continental Divide. I think Aspen got little or none.

The bad news - many flights in & out of DIA have been cancelled. The good news: road travel in the mountains should be easy once you get 50 miles or so west of Denver. The other bad news: most of the ski areas have gotten little or none.