Note to New Members ×

Mt Bohemia, UP

bigwavedave

http://www.mtbohemia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=54

Mount Bohemia in Michigan's Upper Peninsula has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest.

This hidden secret is a true treasure for backcountry skiers and riders.

The average snowfall in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. This makes for a great morning to make the first tracks!

• 4 weeks later...

Bohemia is a lot of fun (though it can be fickle), but there's no grooming. At least not that I know of. They're planning on doing an extension, so maybe in the future there'll be a few groomers. In the meantime, bring your powder board.

If you're in that area, Ski Porkies is a lot of fun, and a great deal to boot.

Heading up to the U.P. this weekend, have dorm booked at Bohemia Sunday night, maybe Monday too if this looming storm dumps some snow. I know, it's not carving, but I get to try some surfing in trees on my new 3800.

I will probably also go to Indianhead for some carving time on Saturday and/or Tuesday depending on the conditions at Bohemia.