Note to New Members ×

Rally at the Thunder Dome '12

dingbat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So wrote a pretty long and (I like to think) eloquent message about how much fun I had, how great the people were, how inspiring Joerg is, and how crazy Sat. was... but then I hit the wrong button in trying to post this message and it was immediately deleted. Suffice to say, once again this event was one of the best weekends of the year for me, in any season. Mark, thank you so much.

On a side note, if anyone is heading to Boston (or North Conway, NH... hey, it could happen) on Friday with an arrival time of around 5pm, and has space to give me a lift, I would be eternally great full. Otherwise I will have to leave first thing Friday morning, as that is when my current ride is heading out. Let me know... Mitchell.Pauly@gmail.com

Here's my after the fact daily rub-in:

Arrive at the hill to find that the impending doom of 55-70mph gusts has caused the area to be closed for the day (by far the right call) so first chair turned out to be a pair of sleds.

IMG_20120225_084422.jpg

Mike looks like maybe he's done this before. Just hope that sled doesn't lurch forward while he's holding the board like that.:eek:

IMG_20120225_085106.jpg

After the sleds we turned to other means of getting up the hill. Paul K, of course, came fully equipped for the situation with split board, skins, and poles. Here he is demonstrating proper toeside technique for split boarding on gravely, icy, windswept, groom. Important to know if you ever plan to spend much time in the back country.

IMG_20120225_135231.jpg

The rest of the day getting up the hill looked more like this:

IMG_20120225_135253.jpg

I like this photo 'cause you can really see how amazing the snow was. Lifts won't get you there. You've got to hike for conditions like this.:D

Jose decided to run a race clinic. He may or may not have been feeling a little light-headed from all the hiking.

IMG_20120225_133514.jpg

Anna, Gene, and maybe Mitch? follow Joerg up for what promises to be the most concentrated Pure Boarding clinic ever.

IMG_20120225_140042.jpg

Mike manages a pretty decent looking heelside despite the wind. Those white specks in the photo that look like snowflakes are actually ice pellets from the previous day's inch and a half of rain being whipped through the atmosphere by a 50+ mile an hour wind gust.

IMG_20120225_090900.jpg

The official Rally at the Thunder Dome green energy tour.

Jose validates his Man Card by driving his all wheel drive wagon through ice and mud, and around and over fallen trees on the logging roads that lead to our wind turbine and then drops us a mere couple of yards from fresh groom at the top of the hill.

IMG_20120225_143413.jpg

Despite the ridiculousness of the situation, I had an awesome, awesome day that finished with the best run of my life. And even though fatigue, caused by hiking what I estimated to be 4500 feet of vertical, may have caused me to hallucinate the two pretty women on tele gear cheering for me at the end of that run.... in my mind it was real.:cool::p

Great day everyone. Can't wait for next year!

Edited by dingbat

Despite the ridiculousness of the situation, I had an awesome, awesome day that finished with the best run of my life. And even though fatigue, caused by hiking what I estimated to be 4500 feet of vertical, may have caused me to hallucinate the two pretty women on tele gear cheering for me at the end of that run.... in my mind it was real.:cool::p

Um... no, that was real... unless we had the same hallucination. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Other carving events may have things like, fancy lifts that run, groomed trails, and ski areas that are what you might call "open", but the Rally had some kick-ass people show up today.

I had a great time. If tomorrow is better, it'll be absolutely stellar.:biggthump

Mark,

Sign me up for 2013. Attending ECES was great riding with even greater people!

I'm planning to make the 14 hour drive from Dayton OH to attend!

Joerg attending again next year would be a definite plus!

(Chaka) (Wrath of) (Kkkk) Khanh