Note to New Members ×

White Face

Tabatha

Tabatha,

Whiteface is my favorite mountain to ride. It is steep however and can be intimidating for novice or beginner carvers. There is a real nice windy run on Little whiteface. I don't know the name of it but if you take the Little Whiteface gondola and get off, it is the trail to skiers left. Follow it all the way down through some winding turns and it will dump you out in the valley section. As you enter this section stay skiers left to get on to the summit quad. Take this lift to the top. On exiting the lift you will see the olympic downhill trail on skiers left. It is fairly steep but definately carvable. There is enough trail width to take big looping turns. Watch speed because if you slide you can go a long way before stopping. If this does not suit your style stay right after getting off the lift and there is a great intermediate cruising trail that wraps around whitface and dumps you off into the valley area. Make sure to take in the views of Lake Placid from this trail. Hopefully you have a clear day. Most of the lower trails are beginner trails. There is a new section of trails on the right side of the mountain as you face it. I don't know how those trails are but I've heard they make for nice cruising trails with good scenic views. Good luck.

First, A big thanks for the advice on which runs to try. I was out there for first gondola up Little White Face at hit the runs you recommended (Exposition) which were great until around 11am.

Conditions: Everything from the Summit Chair was basically solid ice. I tried The Follies with a friend (Italian Navy) and I think he might have learned some new English phrases! It had rained on Tuesday and the only snow was a light dusting Friday night / Saturday morning. On the good runs the snow was quickly scraped to glare ice and while they were making snow like crazy this tended to be soft and pushed around which made things a little treacherous.

The far side of the mountain was not open while I was there (I hear that there had been an "incident" with a groomer on ice last week ... ???)

Fortunately it snowed all Saturday which kept a light coat on some of the not so steep runs until lunch. Unfortunately it snowed all Saturday which meant there was no view.

It was a great trip - but White Face really lived up to its nick-name.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent four plus years riding Whiteface with my PJ (College Discount at PSU). My favorite Carving run is the following:

1 - Riva Ridge

2- Cloud Spin

3- Lower Switchback (if open, else 4a)

4a- Lower Skyward

4b- Victoria

5- Victoria Shoot (Stop and take summit quad if you find you are tired)

6- Upper Valley (Great for showboating deep carves)

7- Lower Valley (Great for showboating deep carves)

8- Take FaceLift back up.

Wilmington Trail or Hoyt's is great too, but I tend to prefer a Twin on these trails. Since I find on a good day I spend my time in the woods. :-)