Note to New Members ×

What did you learn today?

lafcadio

Ever have one of those days when everything just clicked? Or finally figure something out that's been eluding you all season?

I'd like to hear about what new skills you've acquired while riding today, or what new tips or tricks you picked up. What worked for you?

For me, today was one of the best carving days I've had yet. The conditions certainly helped. My board loves the hardpack! Eats that $hit up.

Today, I figured out how to get that transition from heelside to toeside smooth. Instead of carving a "flattened out" C on toeside with the board immediately hooking downhill, I had nice round, even half circle tracks, and was carving my downhill edge.

What did it for me was getting my body low to the board on the edge transition and letting the edge engage slowly, while keeping my body in position stacked over the edge. Then, extending my legs through turn, and getting the board really high on edge. Wow... I'm still smiling thinking about it! :)

Oh... and this was mostly due to the great advice I've received from people here on BOL (thanks dingbat!). So tell me, what made your day?

Edited by lafcadio

Today was great. I learned that full face helmets are totally worth it. I locked into a heel side carve, couldn't release, panicked, got base flat, stood straight up, *TRIED* to go into a toe side, and immediately caught an edge and face planted at a good clipping pace.

It happened so fast that i didn't even get to put my hands out in front or anything. I got air born and landed on my face before anything else hit the snow. Helmet saved my face/chin/jaw/teeth - good investment.

Today was great. I learned that full face helmets are totally worth it. I locked into a heel side carve, couldn't release, panicked, got base flat, stood straight up, *TRIED* to go into a toe side, and immediately caught an edge and face planted at a good clipping pace.

It happened so fast that i didn't even get to put my hands out in front or anything. I got air born and landed on my face before anything else hit the snow. Helmet saved my face/chin/jaw/teeth - good investment.

With my injury from last year slowing me down- I have to pay closer attention to others who could pass me on the slope.So now worrying about people in both directions I have been wearing a helmet also a full face.

I have learned that having your arms lined up over your edge helps when making the edge transition.

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly a new skill, but more like a milestone: today, for the first time, I actually got tripped up in one of my own trenches. :D

One thing I got dialed in today is the balance between edge inclination and turn radius. This must sound totally obvious, but I just finally realized that to get a tighter turn radius I needed to get the board higher on edge and sooner into the turn.

I don't know why I hadn't figured that one out until today, but I was quite psyched at how easy I could drive the board anywhere I wanted, varying the turn radius without burning out my quads. Much easier than trying to force the board by throwing my weight around.

I wish the day could last forever.... oh wait... there's more tomorrow!