Note to New Members ×

Skiboot sizing vs. Carving boot size

Guest burtonboy5

Guest burtonboy5

Hey guys,

I ski in a 27.5 ski boot. I am woudering if i would wear a 27.5 in a carving boot or if there is a different sizing chart. I wear a U.S. mens 10.5 street shoe. The snowboard boot says it a U.S. 9.5...

But everybody knows about the difficulty of boot sizing.

Thanks,

Burt

Guest Randy S.

If you are a 10.5, you'll likely fit in either a 275 or a 28. Try both. I'm a 10 wide and 275 is perfect for me. Lots of folks go much smaller, but I like my toenails on my toes.

I ski'd a 28 boot years (and I mean like 2 decades) ago (I found my boots last time I was home and saw the size) and I use a 28 Raichle boot. i have narrow size 10 feet with very tall arches, top and bottom of feet, I'm pretty sure thatI will end up suplementing the liner at some point (or buying Thermoflexes) but I have never been able to fit into boots for narrow feet because of my arches

Go by the mondo size only, don't get confused by the other sizes you mentioned, as mondo is the standard for hardboots. Another possibility that may be confusing you is that the 9 1/2 you are referring to could very well be referring to UK size 9 1/2, which is about the same as USA 10 or 10 1/2. Add roughly 1 full size to any UK footwear size to get USA size. As ski boots, snowboard boots (as well as other regular footwear) are marketed to more countries than the USA, they usually have multiple size standards on the box and/or product. Example: I wear a USA 13, which is roughly a euro/uk 12, a euro 46 or 47, and a mondo 29 or 29.5. By the way, a whole mondo size and the next half size up are actually the same shell and in innerboot. The only difference is that the "x".0 liner has a thicker footbed than the "x".5 liner, which helps talke up more volume, but after alot of use, a "x".0 footbed just packs down to be a "x".5 footbed anyways. Also, remember that euro size and mondo size are constant, there are not different size scales segregated for each sex.

Here's a a link to adult, girls, and boys sizes:

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html then click "adult"

or go straight to the adult chart here

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html#adult

Kinda O.T., but still very useful info to proper fit

As you likley already know, there is no substitute for actually putting a boot on your foot, as everyone's foot is different, and different shell manufacturers have different shell shapes. The worst mistake you can make, which is what 95% of the wintersports participants do, is ask for their US size, and just go up a size if they think its too small. They have no understanding about proper size, and the average sales person either ist knowledgable enough or doesn't have the guts to set them straight as it usually tough to tell "Testosterone Tony", the flatlander urban dweller, how a boot should fit in a tactful way, without him feeling insulted, especially when he only wants to spend $149.99 for the boot that is on sale. The customer wants the boot their buddy has, or the cool looking boot, the high price tag boot, or the one with the best reviews. If it doesn't fit their foot, they will never be happy, and 95% of the time, that is the case. Boots do not have to hurt, but they are not supposed to fit like a street shoe either. A custom footbed will also make a world of difference for you, and I cannot stress that enough. Even a simple trim-to-fit footbed for under 40.00 like a "Superfeet" brand footbed is a drastic improvement over the P.O.S. stock footbed that even the high end boots come with. So many people just put emphasis on the boot features and price. Some also comment on upgrading to a thermo fit or zip fit liner, which is also a great upgrade and a step in te right direction, but you still need to address the bottom of your foot. Buying a boot is just the first piece of the puzzle. A custom footbed will be molded for YOU, and will support your foot much better, giving you better performance, better leverage, better edgehold, and less fatigue and pain as the day wears on. Because the footbed is supporting your foot, it prevents ithe foot from spreading out, and sometimes you can even drop down a shell size without discomfort for a real high performance fit. If you don't have happy feet, then you won't have a happy time on the slopes. Now about those tube socks you are wearing.......