Note to New Members ×

new board, wax?

icebiker

Apologies for the stupid question, but for those of you that have ordered a Donek, did it arrive pre-waxed? I emailed Sean but he's likely been too busy to get to emails this week since I haven't heard back yet. I checked his website and the build/finishing steps include a base grind and stone grind, but no mention of wax. If there is a coat, it's much thinner than the hack job I usually do:freak3: so it's hard for me to tell (yeah, I know...I SHOULD know this).

Not a problem if I need to wax it, just asking so I know whether to slap some on before heading up to the great white north this weekend.

Thanks

To do it right, work in a base-prep wax or two, and then use your normal choice of wax over that for the given snow conditions.

I just faced a similar thing--picked-up a new board from Sean and then needed to prep it for the next day. Luckily there was a very reputable shop in the area that could do a proper prep wax in a few hours (ie. they didn't just roll it over a waxing machine.)

Then again, if you're headed anywhere in New England, might be best to take a rock board along too and inspect the coverage with that before sacrificing your new ride. Good snow is scarce almost everywhere.

I don't remember whether it was waxed (I think it was?), but I do recall that Sean typically does not ship boards with edges tuned. Base and side edges will be at a right angles and it's up to the rider to have the optimal angles set based on riding style, conditions, etc. This is a Good Thing, because it gives you more options without sacrificing edge metal.

I'm not sure if you can request specific edge angles for custom boards. I'm sure a quick email to Sean would give you the answer.

Hey DT, How's the Hot Rod race working for you? I haven't tried it yet, I was a little confused about the "don't scrape it all off " thing. I guess if you're using a wizz you're not scraping at all.

Scrape it down thin. The "don't scrape it all off" thing was early in Tony's thinking. We have since changed that. Lay it on as D.T. described and you will have a fast board. Plum is for warmer and HotRod is colder. Both are fast.

Ink

Just confirming what most people are saying here. We don't have tuning machinery to set base or side bevels accurately and do not ask what you prefer. We leave tuning to the customer as they know what works best for their needs. If you are unsure, I recommend 1/2 to 1 deg on the base and 1 deg on the side to start. We occasionally put wax on the base and will probably begin running a buff waxer this year. The boards just look better when it's done. I wouldn't recommend riding extensively with that wax job. It simply isn't a performance wax.