Note to New Members ×

Grouse Diaries 2011-12

pan

This season, I will be coaching NSST alpine racing team at Grouse. In addition, I'm giving training session at snow school. Therefore, I will be up at Grouse almost every week nights and occasionally week days. If you like carving, feel free to pass by and say hi.

Dec. 19 night:

Very foggy, but no traffic. Snow condition was icy on certain area. Top of peak, huge bumps.

Dec. 20 afternoon:

Nice weather, good visibility. Lots of traffic and bumps on certain area. Top of peak, icy with huge bumps everywhere.

Saw a guy with F2 board in the tram, but can't find him once got out...

Dec. 21 afternoon:

Nice weather, unlimited visibility. Flat light in the back side. Very icy on Expo. Huge bumps on the peak.

Saw a guy on Cut riding hard boot

Afternoon, lots of people uploading and downloading in tram.

Condition: Icy, sugar over ice on certain spot. Peak, mostly icy.

Visibility is great. Great condition to work on edging and commitment!

Tomorrow will go up early to get some training.

Thx Roy. I have a pass, so I will go up to Grouse more often.

Went up to Grouse this morning, using my staff pass. Great condition, hero snow. Think cloud/fog around mid section of peak. Did an hour of training with no traffic and downloaded at 10am. Will head up to Whistler during Christmas. Will back to Grouse on Tuesday!!!

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

I was training last night... pouring rain... all my gears were all soak and wet in an hour. Visibility was limited and acceptable. Snow was wet and heavy, with irregular bumps everywhere.

I have been meaning to check out the NSST alpine racing team. I raced with Gordon Tanner back in the day in N.S. but have been out the game for the last few years. When do you do the Race team training as I would likely come out some time when that is happening to check it out.

We will go up again tonight, hopefully it will stop raining. I rode Gordon few weeks ago.

Our training schedule depends on availabilities of my work schedule and athletes'. I try to schedule every week evening/nights. If possible, early morning on Friday/weekends. Morning training is more specify on skill and technique while on nicely groomed runs. Night training is more about adjusting/adapting the technique in different situations. This month, I'm working on stance and balance with the team. Next month, we will start working on gates training. You are welcome to check us out. :biggthump

Amazing what a small typo can do! :D

I believe the original Pan's text is missing a "WITH" somwhere there ;)

However, it's getting interesting - we are about to learn whole lot of incidents from racers' lives.

Yeah typo. :smashfrea

Just got from Grouse for snow school training. Raining all night. A patch of dirt in the middle of the Cut. Visibility is ok, but limited. Snow is slightly soft with hard base. Great condition for practicing carving! :biggthump

Went up during lunch time. Very foggy. Riding mostly on Peak, and Expo. Snow condition is ok, but most of the time are white out.

Will go up again this evening for CASI 2 course. Hope it will clear up.

By the way, I saw Bret Tippi coaching the NSST SBX time at Grouse last week! He was on a Kessler boarder-cross board. :cool:

Yesterday, Icy on Peak and Expo. Lots of traffic yesterday, mostly are the kids from ski club.

Tonight, they put lots of snow. Little better than yesterday, but still icy.

Will take a 2 days break, then head to Whistler next week.

Currently, it's snowing outside!!! :cool:

Great snow condition tonight. Just occasionally some traffic.

Will be training at Grouse at night this and next week. Tuesday and Thursday will be snow school training.

May do some gates training later on. Anyone interested?

• 2 weeks later...

Jan 23

I was sick, therefore training cancelled

Jan 24

Very wet heavy snow and bumpy everywhere. Just kept working on stance and balance while riding. Heavy rain!

Will be doing training in the evening from Wed to Fri at Grouse. Hopefully, weather will get better! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Came back from training this afternoon. Condition was soft under the sun. Small bumps everywhere, and not many traffic. The bumps on the Peak are getting really big and tight! Need to sideslip few bumps to go through. Will head up to Whistler tomorrow and Wed. Then head to Cypress to do the race on Thursday. Will resume training on Friday.

Update Feb. 17:

Great condition in the morning. Saw one guy on hard boot with F2 board on the Cut.

Started raining after lunch, then became heavy wet snow. Not many traffic.

Will go up tomorrow and Sunday. Then, head up to Whistler for a week.