Note to New Members ×

Sunshine Dec 4

Allee

I bailed. Between the abysmal driving conditions, -17C cold and feeling generally crap with the office flu bug, I stayed home and spent money at Home Depot instead. I did consider going to Nakiska until I looked at the cams and they were solid grey ... your day sounds like what I expected.

Next weekend, hopefully. Although the cold is supposed to settle in this week ...

looking for opinion/help from a local rider....

My son won a 3-day trip to the big 3, so my family (4 hardbooters) will be there on 15,16,17... but we are not sure which of the big 3 would be best to go to... any suggestions? Your fav runs? (we are just "avid-intermediate" riders).

If you wanted to meet for a couple of runs, that would be great... always nice to meet fellow bomberonline'rs.

your opinions are appreciated.

Norm, Julie, Adam, Daniel.

I'd do it by snow conditions. I assume by Big 3, you're looking at Sunshine, Norquay, and Louise. I'd skip Norquay unless it happens to be amazing, but check out night skiing there if that's an option and you're staying in Banff. Sunshine and Louise both have some decent runs for HB, and when it's good snow at Louise, it might not be great at Sunshine and vice versa. Is it possible to do a day at each of Sunshine and Louise and pick the 3rd day depending what you like. The scenery and the atmosphere at each is probably worth checking out if you've never been out here.

The locals are usually found at Nakiska, but that isn't probably included at your deal, and the snow isn't phenomenal quite yet, although the snowmaking equipment is out in full force!

I'm sure somebody will be out... not sure what my wife's work plans are yet for the weekend.

I'd skip Norquay myself. It's steep and tends to be icy.

For intermediates, Louise and Sunshine are wonderful. Sunshine was good this past weekend, and my friend came back from working the World Cup skiing at Louise and says the back side there is excellent. Both make for great carving if they haven't had any new snow (off Angel, Divide and Wawa at Sunshine, and Larch and the front side on Louise). If there's powder around then take out the AM boards and enjoy!

The season's off to a good start here, you should have a fun trip. I'll probably be out on the weekend, not sure where yet.

Sunshine has more reliable snow, but I'd say Louise has a little better terrain for what you want. The scenery is breath-taking both places. Really it's hard to go wrong whichever way you go. I'd do a day at both just for the experience, but you could easily spend a week at either without getting bored.