Note to New Members ×

Newbie shopping for boots...please help

pumpkincarver

So I'm totally new to hardboot carving. I'm committed take the plunge but on a limited budget. I just picked up a board with bindings. I'm hoping to find some used boots just to get up and riding. I've done some research on this site and others but I'm still not sure what boots will work with my bindings. Below are a couple pics of the setup so far. Any help would be appreciated. Are there any old used hardboots availble out there? Thanks

post-11183-141842349164_thumb.jpg

post-11183-141842349166_thumb.jpg

You need to know what size boot you need in mondo point size. Also those bindings you have should work with just about any hardshell snowboard boot. You could put a post in the wanted to buy section of this forum. Look on ebay as well. Again you will need to know what size you need. There is info on how to do this at the store section of this site. Used boots can be hard to find sometimes. You might look at the gear to loan section as well to see if there is anyone in your area that could let you borrow a pair of boots to try?Good luck and welcome to alpine snowboarding!

So I'm totally new to hardboot carving. I'm committed take the plunge but on a limited budget. I just picked up a board with bindings. I'm hoping to find some used boots just to get up and riding. I've done some research on this site and others but I'm still not sure what boots will work with my bindings. Below are a couple pics of the setup so far. Any help would be appreciated. Are there any old used hardboots availble out there? Thanks

Welcome to the CRAZY fun of carving...

Check here WELCOME CENTRE and FAQ

BINDING: What u have is an OXYGEN binding, the most complete high tech set up in a binding (I think). It's similar to CATEK but this one is older & plastic.. It's easy to adjust once you know how it works :o I think all type of HB can fit into.

BOOTS size (Mondo Point =MP): Drive your heel to the baseboard and measure (use carpenters tape not taylor tape) from the base board to the longest part of your foot in CM and do the same to your other foot and take the longest measurement that's your MP. You can also draw and measure.

WIDE or NARROW feet? This is important as some shells are made for narrow (Burton, some Raichle/Deeluxe etc) and some for wide (Suzuka, T700, UPZ, Head etc)

If u have $$ to invest, buy a THERMO Liner which will form to your feet shape (but that's my personal opinion)

I hope this will help.

Good luck,

RT

If u have $$ to invest, buy a THERMO Liner which will form to your feet shape (but that's my personal opinion)

And a good opinion at that. I started out with TERRRRRRRIBLE:AR15firin liners. Spend the money, seriously. And this is coming from someone who is very frugal.

Honestly, if I could go back and do everything over again, I would have bought brand new boots from the start and not had to deal with the BS of trying to fit into older boots I couldn't return for a different size/model.

Try not to be overwhelmed with all the information. It will come to you in time. Focus right now on getting your boots right, then start your season and ask questions from there.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. i'm glad to hear that most snowboard hardboots will work. I was worried I'd be limited to a few obscure brands or something. I'll measure my mondo size as soon as I am home and continue the search. I'll keep the liners in mind too. I'm still on the ropes about buying new boots as I really don't have the cash.

With that said, I have another question I have to ask (possibly a stupid question)....If I'm unable to find any cheap snowboard hardboots are ski boots an option? I've read that they were and they're definitely easier to find. If so, whats the deal with bindings? If you can't tell I'm clueless as to the board to boot connections.

Can't wait to start laying trenches. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. i'm glad to hear that most snowboard hardboots will work. I was worried I'd be limited to a few obscure brands or something. I'll measure my mondo size as soon as I am home and continue the search. I'll keep the liners in mind too. I'm still on the ropes about buying new boots as I really don't have the cash.

With that said, I have another question I have to ask (possibly a stupid question)....If I'm unable to find any cheap snowboard hardboots are ski boots an option? I've read that they were and they're definitely easier to find. If so, whats the deal with bindings? If you can't tell I'm clueless as to the board to boot connections.

Can't wait to start laying trenches. Thanks again.

There is no stupid questions here...

Yes, ski boots will fit. SKI is stiffer. I know Boris aka BlueB only use ski boots, why dont u send him an email. He knows most ski boots that have similar function as HB.

RT

The boots need to be not only the right length, but the right shape. If you know whether you have a narrow heel, wide forefoot, high arch, etc, you can be more likely to get a boot that will work. It took me many pairs in 3 sizes to get a decent fit. And I'm not even talking comfortable; I am referring to ability to control the board.

Depending on your foot characteristics, you may get wildly different measurements if your foot is arched (as it will be when riding) or relaxed. A good footbed reduces the difference, so use one when you measure, and/or try to keep your feet arched.

It's hard to judge whether a boot will work until you ride in it. Beckmann AG suggests putting your bare foot into the empty shell and making sure that you have about 5 mm space all around, except maybe a few spots where it's tighter. More than that and the shell is too big. People new to hardboots usually get shells that are too big, in the mistaken belief that the extra room will make for extra comfort (and because the sizing is different than shoes). Wrong, because it's the shell that's attached to the board; your feet/legs have to move the shell.

Good luck.

UPZs actually work well for those of us with wide feet.

Yes, for me too:) I was merely stating that compared to most relaxed/comfort/sport ski boots they are narrow. I know this because my skit boots are not race fit, but my RC-10 are.

BTW, the RC-10 are wicked boots. I agree with others...by new boots from the start.

Yes, for me too:) ...BTW, the RC-10 are wicked boots....

Yeah agree looks cool too but too bad I can't fit my wide feet into RC10, I guess arch shape don't fit as comfort as in the Deeluxe...ah well at least my RC10TNut will be enjoyed on the East side terrain.

BTW 2012 Deeluxe T700T is here thx to YYZCanuck with the speedy service. Boots seems a lot more stiffer specially with the booster strap also new thermo liners come with it are made from comfy materials. Time for baking... ;)

RT

I went to a local ski/snowboard shop today and tried on a couple ski boots. Wow they are stiff! Looks like I'm a size 27 with a narrow foot. Thanks for the advice I'll try getting a hold of BlueB for some ski boot info. Thanks to everyone and happy carving.
Snowboard boots are not as stiff as ski boots, in fact depending on model they can be quite soft. Raichle/Deeluxe fit narrow feet and are probably the most commonly available used boots.

PumpkinCarver

I have been looking into using A/T ski boots for my set up (TD1's standard bails), the Scarpa Skookum's and the Dynafit Zzero 4 U-TF might be worth looking into as they have a softer flex rating (90 t0 110), there are a few members here that either use modified Ski boots or A/T ski boots:biggthump

Now that you've got everything to start carving, you

are going to want to adjust your binding angles. The back binding is too staright across the board, and the front binding is at too severe of an angle forward. You'll want your bindings to be angled closer to the same degree than they are now (I'll suggest a starting point of 55 degrees for the front binding, and 50 degrees for the back).

The closer to the same angle that your bindings are, the more your legs can work in unison to carve.

I would highly recommend custom liners. Those old Raichle liners are, imo, really bad :eek: But shop around, new liners are expensive full retail. If you want to take the risk, i think gearx.com is still selling MP28 or 29 scarpa liners for like $30. Might be worth cooking them yourself and hoping they fit in your boot (which they should, actually). Keep it in mind in case you have pain/fit issues :biggthump

Since you don't have the boots i'm assuming you didn't make your first turns yet? If not, take that first run really slow haha. Felt like i was learning how to snowboard all over again ("this is your heel edge.....this is your toe edge....this is how you stop...." etc etc). kind of fun haha.

And the feeling of locking in your first turn on a carving board...i still remember that. I literally laughed out loud with glee :D

Thanks everyone for the good advice. i'm glad to hear that most snowboard hardboots will work. I was worried I'd be limited to a few obscure brands or something.

Oh no, you're definitely limited to a few obscure brands - like you said, any snowboard hardboot will work.....;)

Since you don't have the boots i'm assuming you didn't make your first turns yet? If not, take that first run really slow haha. Felt like i was learning how to snowboard all over again ("this is your heel edge.....this is your toe edge....this is how you stop...." etc etc). kind of fun haha.

That's good advice to take it easy at first and be really attentive. When I first started with plates way back when, I got completely SLAMMED more than once. The board was just so much more on edge than my soft setup - and I actually went from stiff three-buckle soft bindings to plates on the same board (Burton M6). Felt like I had to really concentrate all the time and not get lazy with it or I'd catch an edge and it'd make me pay.

I suppose it's even more that way now, but of course I'm long since used to it......