Note to New Members ×

Base grind

Odd Job

Have you gotten a base grind from him before then?

You may have luck at dekdebruns in ellicottville. Give them a call and see. A fellow named James works there and loves boarding ( he's a coach at holiday valley and has placed well at usasa nationals in bc). Experienced tuner, no b.s.

716-699-2754

Honestly I have not. Marco had them perform a miracle with a pair of his skiis. I witnessed the interaction and was surprised. Ask him about his experiences with them. And frankly, if you want structure, go to Mike as others have suggested. I have ridden his work and it is a beautiful thing.

Thank you. Seems like another guy does the tuning there now, but he is still very good (Jay). Very informative and even pointed out all the minor flaws that he didn't take out due to wanting to preserve board life. (like VERY minor flaws). (board was very base high/convex and he got like 99% of the board perfectly flat, took his time with it).

Looks like you are from WNY? Where would you say the best spots to carve are? I basically lap Holly at Kissing bridge the entire day. Holimont is kind of exclusive, and Holiday valley is a giant mogul fest :(. (Mardi gras is way too flat for me, maybe the upper half of cindy's run is what I'd like, too bad it doesn't stay that steep).

• 2 weeks later...

hey, he's actually the same guy. i am very glad that you had a positive experience.

riding in western NY.

i actually work at an area so i am fairly grounded throughout the season. these are all opinions (feel i must mention this in light of being ripped to shreds for asking a "think" question in another thread).

i hate holiday valley. boring. the trails off of mardi gras (ie. yodeler) can be fun but something about the area gives me the heebie jeebies. cindy's headwall is a great start. too bad it turns into a golf course. in short, i happen to agree.

holimont is exclusive but the grooming is fantastic. i end up there for the regional race series and always have fun. playing hooky and going there midweek is worth it in that the place is virtually empty. they also have fairly enjoyable trees. Sunset in the western part of the area is a nice blue. good for dialing in techniques and warming up before you hit steeper trails. i guess the other side has a very steep trail with a double chair by it that until it gets bumped up is a challenge that i usually hear about from other hardbooters on race days (because they can't help but brag about all the fun they had while all the racers were side slipping the course). i've ridden on it but do not recall the name.

i work at hunt hollow (southern end of honeoye lake, near naples) where we boast a whole chairlift!!!! I actually enjoy riding at hunt hollow. when the black diamonds are groomed well they are a blast (glade and cascade). decent headwalls, wide for forgiveness, and some undulations. kind of has a topography similar to swain in that there are steep headwalls that go to flats, although these are less dramatic. i am actually the head snowboard instructor trainer (or something) and always welcome guests with cheap lift tickets ;). horrible lighting for night riding though.

bristol mountain (closer to canandaigua lake. two hills over from hunt hollow). bristol has an assortment of trails that are fun to carve on. heavy traffic makes it a no go on weekends, but first thing on a sleepy morning and it's game on. this is another area i have had an extended tenure at as an instructor.

and there are other places i have worked and traveled to. unfortunately i have not ridden at KB yet (holly, 4 turns and you're done? it at least looks like a nice, consistent pitch). i'd have to say, try holimont during the week just once and have a rip. i have ridden there after major thaws once it had then refrozen and been astounded by the conditions. the grooming is well worth it.