Note to New Members ×

AF700 boots for skiing?

piusthedrcarve

I've been snowboarding for ..well.. little less than 20 years but never skied before. For this year, I want to learn how to ski on short ski like "Big Foot" or "Snow Blades". For bindings, there are buckle type bindings and release bindings.

Can my AF700 boots (Mondo28) works for those bindings? Buckle type or Release type?

While they will probably work with the buckle type binding I'd avoid the shorty skis altogether. The biggest reason is non-releasable bindings. I've seen far too many broken tib-fibs with snow blades.

Modern skis are pretty easy to use so don't limit yourself with the snowblades. You could probably pick up a used set of boots and skis at a ski swap for $100-200. There's one coming up at Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling on Nov 5-6.

Sure you have to haul two pairs of gear to the hill but you won't be compromising the performance of either. You could put softie bindings on your alpine deck so you could ride the same boots on you Jib deck but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even consider that.

I ski in my old Raichles occasionally but I have a well honed technique and ski very centered with an economy of motion, so pre-release with sb hardboots non-DIN toe/heel shape are not an issue for me. I use older solomon toe pieces because they are adjustable for height & width to accommodate sb boot shape.

That said I won't take my big skis (186x90) off piste without the lateral support & DIN binding fit of real skiboots.

for a beginner, shorty skis (100-110cm) will teach you to be centered on your skis (a bit like ice skating) and not have pre-release/injury issues when used with sb boots in either type of binding.

I second the recommendation of finding cheap used shaped skis & boots and using your already molded hardboot liner for a good fit.

Beginner lesson packages at most areas are a great way to test the waters and see if you want to spring for good ski gear.

You can get UPZs with DIN toe & heel to avoid any ski binding issues.

I've been snowboarding for ..well.. little less than 20 years but never skied before. For this year, I want to learn how to ski on short ski like "Big Foot" or "Snow Blades". For bindings, there are buckle type bindings and release bindings.

Can my AF700 boots (Mondo28) works for those bindings? Buckle type or Release type?

I don't get those little skis. Why would you want to use them? They have no edge hold, don't go that fast, and have no float in fresh snow. I have seen people take them out on huge pow days, and I just laugh my ass off.

I wouldn't take my shorties off piste, but I have a lot of fun carving railroad track trenches forward & switch on them.

They are a great learning tool to keep your stance centered and your skis parallel to get the feel of the carve.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I have never tried them before, and never figured out what they were good for.

I have never tried them before, and never figured out what they were good for.

I had a set and loved them. If you can skate, you can use these and never have to "learn to ski". Just strap em on and go. I'd take mine out after I ran out of legs carving, and just mess about.

They're utterly hopeless on anything other than perfect groom at half speed, but they're really fun in a quarter pipe. And if you had kids that were learning to ski, they'd be perfect - short and manoeuverable, easy to ride switch, easy to skate.

I'd use my Deeluxes on my blades no problem. The riding position was a little weird - tilted forward at the knees more than ski boots - but it's rideable for sure.

If you were serious about skiing, a set of dedicated shorty carve skis and proper boots would be way better. Snowblades are pretty limited.

Thank you all for inputs.

Only reason I want to (short) ski is for my kid. Since the resort I go to only offers group ski lesson for 4 years old. Snowboard lesson offers to age 6 or above. I can teach my kid to snowboard but rather not to since he enjoys more with peers (learned from swimming).

And I don't want to get lesson to ski since I'm doing this until my son overcomes downslopes and is ready to learn snowboard. And...while he is in the ski kids school, I will be on alpine gears :1luvu:

Snowlerblades! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If you can rock them like Saucerboy McConkey did, more power to you:

skg1008truthm.jpg

Yes, your boots will work with those bindings. And at one point, I think the snowlerblader community actually promoted Raichle boots as the boot of choice.

Last season at the Pain McShlonkey Classic at Squaw they held a Chinese Downhill on snowlerblades. Pro skier Cody Townsend won it - but he's a better skier than you (and me). If you do decide to try them, be sure to announce at the top of each run that you are "going to rip the $hit out of this run" and blade up to random people to remind them that you are "the best snowlerblader on this mountain." GNAR the movie had some great snowlerblading in it.

Trailer: http://vimeo.com/17787406

Full movie (totally worth watching): http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/

When I started teaching my daughter to ski, I used snowblades with my Indys. In theory, they are perfect for the purpose, but I found myself picking up a used pair of Head Monsters at the end of the first season: She would not take me seriously as a skier. Instead, she tried to emulate on her skies what my wife was doing on her alpine board. So, give the blades a try, but be prepared to adapt :-)

When I started teaching my daughter to ski, I used snowblades with my Indys. In theory, they are perfect for the purpose, but I found myself picking up a used pair of Head Monsters at the end of the first season: She would not take me seriously as a skier. Instead, she tried to emulate on her skies what my wife was doing on her alpine board. So, give the blades a try, but be prepared to adapt :-)

Yup. I will try one this season. Thanks.

I used to use them with short skis "Skiboards" to access late season lift systems.

Rather than do damage to an expensive alpine board. I would set up so old Salomon "Blades" to get to the lifts. It was quite a ways and they worked great. Once I got to the chair I would either just leave them there or ride them up to the next lift and leave them some where.

In the right conditions they make tight pure carved turns and are super easy to throw around.

Skiblades are a great way to teach your kid to snowboard. They are really maneuverable and you don't need poles to skate around. Plus, being twintipped, there's no problem snowplowing backerds while observing your grom catch a toeside and faceplant. For regular shredding, tho....

I had some at one time. I used them for one season. They are good for groomed greens and that's about it-even a little chop is bad