Note to New Members ×

UPZ ATB anyone?

Randy Kight

Love to hear from anyone that gave these a go last season. I'm currently in old raichle 324's and was thinking these might be a good purchase for my all mountain carving. I'm 230 and have a brand new Kessler custom freecarve/alpine to play with upcoming season. Don't want anything to stiff, I'm no racer and don't care to be, but love to carve all day. My 324's are nice, but old, and I'd like something new. Plan on interfacing these with Fin's TD SW's. These going to be to soft...RC10's? Decisions...

Thanks for the time and thoughts.

Randy Kight

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I'd rather err on the side of soft, but I don't want a noodle. I had an old boot back in 1990 made by Nordica called the snowboard hard. Loved them. Anyway, these ATB's look pretty nice. This guy seems to be doing ok in them, if he truly is in them as the title of the vid would suggest.

http://shop.virus-snowsports.com/en/shop/produkt-videos/1207/68

My sister-in law has got some ATBs and AFAIK she's very happy with them. Very comfy boots, good craftsmanship. Couple of interesting options, such as heel and toe blocks for touring ski bindings, and cushioned heel blocks.

Talked to Wolfgang Aigner (head of UPZ) a lot about them. Actually he designed them for off piste use, and was quite surprised that esp the eurocarvers showed that much interest.

The performance of the guy in the vid is impressing. The UFC needs a lot of control, so personally I would prefer to ride it with a stiffer boot.

The ATB is really soft, for a hardboot. Using stiffer tongues doesn't make much sense since the shell itself is so soft.

The RC10 is quite stiff on the contrary. Good compromise would be the RC8, which is a medium stiffness boot and you can adapt the stiffness with different tongues.

I have a pair, used them for a week in June, riding Loveland Pass and A Basin. I'm just coming back to boarding from skiing, so I'm not hardly a seasoned hard booter, but I can compare the ATB to some highly modified Scarpa TX (AT/tele boot) I used in the week before I got the ATB. I found AT boots to be a little less forgiving than the ATB, both in forward flex and lateral flex, also the ATB was more comfy.

The ATB is nice and comfortable, I'm using a full wrap Scarpa ski boot liner cuz the stock liner was too short; Bola is ordering me a bigger size. They do fit big, seems to fit a wide range of sizes, I wear a 13 street shoe and mondo 30 ski boots, but my ATB are 27.5

They are a little heavy, partly due to the added soles. I found the soles wear a little faster from hiking than Vibram, lots of options for soles, tongues, soles, cant, etc....

They are soft, not sure if I'd compare them to a stiffer soft boot as they're not really comparable, but they ae probably the softest hard boot you can buy.

I also have a pair of used UPZ RTR, an older version of the RC, these have the mid stiff black tongue (120) and there is a noticeable difference in the stiffness; I have the stiff 140 tongue as well, but not installed.

They are not Dynafit friendly, BUT I think it could be done at least for BC/skiing use.

All the current UPZ can be fit with the AT/BC and Ski soles, so you could get an RC 10 and outfit it like an ATB. Due to the "weak" attachement using screws and t nuts, I don't think I'd use the UPZ for skiing, seems like they'd tear out or at the least, the flex would lead to inconsistent release, but for boarding they seem solid.

The UPZ have four locked cuff setting and unlocked. I tried both and found the unlock was really nice for softer snow and to simulate soft booting, but don't confuse these boots with Malamutes or T1, they are hardboots and so they lack lateral play (side to side).

I think they make a nice transition boot for soft booter going to plates or if you want a softer feeling ride. Coming from the Raichle; not sure how stiff they are, but I'd think you could go straight to the RC 10 unless you want a softer tongue (red), but you can buy extra tongues...

I believe that the only difference in the boots is in the tongue and the addition of an extra buckle on the RC, so I think the RC8 is the softest carving boot because it has the softer (100) tongue, the RC 10 has the mid stiff tongue (120), thenn you can order the stiff race tongue (140).

Comparing between my older RTR and the ATB, the changes in quality and design are evident. I tried on all the boots Bola had in his shop and the UPZ were nicest.

The RC10 are iron stiff and if they fit perfectly with your feet everything is super otherwise you'll have a lot of trouble.

ATB are too soft for a lot of people who had used them.

The 8 are the right ones for non competitors high level carvers.

Head are quite stiff , NW .900 are very expensive, impossible to find but wonderful.

A lot of rumors about Dal Bello Krypton but they are very stiff too.

I want to say thanks to all who took the time to give me your thoughts. I'll call Dan, again, and speak to him about options. Maybe see if he can send both models out and I send him a pair back after decision. Wish like helll I could try these things on/out in a shop near by, but I've yet to meet anyone representing said shops that even know what a hard boot is. I'd also like to check out a Northwave, just out of curriosity, as they're constantly mentioned.

Hey Randy, I'm down in East Tennesse, if you get this way you could play with mine :)

Honestly, if you can plan a trip to Colorado and stop by All Board Sports, that's what I'd do. Bola has all of the boots, you can sit down and try them on, worthwhile just to see how the boots fit differently. Otherwise you're paying shipping and not really able to see how they fit differently between sizes; liners chaneg for 1/2 sizes, shells change for whole sizes.

I did not see a huge difference in shell fit, but the liners felt very different, so you can change liners and use fit kits, pretty much any boot can be made to fit unless you're talking about some ski boot (Crispi).

I ended up getting a much smaller shell, then ordering a larger liner...

Second to UPZ, I found the Head Stratos to be very nice.

Liners have been changed a lot throughout the years, but AFAIK the 2011 liners were the same in ATB, RC8 and RC10, so the fit shout be the same in all three because the shell design is more or less the same, too. Maybe a bit more comfy in the softer shells. Tight heels, wider forefoot in comparison to e.g. Deeluxe boot.

Wolfgang is constantly working on the design.. maybe there's some changes for next year, esp. concerning the tongue and the fit for bigger calves.

Liners have been changed a lot throughout the years, but AFAIK the 2011 liners were the same in ATB, RC8 and RC10, so the fit shout be the same in all three because the shell design is more or less the same, too.

Yes, I could see the difference as I tried on different UPZ boots, liners are significantly more comfortable on the most current models (2010-11). For sure, get the newest liner, has a neat velcro pad attachment over the instep, well designed neoprene "flex" zone in the toe box, and the "flo" material around the ankle is more comfortable.

My RTR are ~2008 and they have the older liners, which are kinda hard in the ankle area and take some getting used to, but they do work and the liners are durable.

Thanks guys. NB, thanks for the offer and time, much appreciated. I've thought about doing that. Sis'o'law is a pilot for SW. Just got to get off my a** and go. I'm currious, did you try on the RC 10's while you were there to get a good feeling of the diference in flex between them

and the ATB?

I don't mind my old 324's, and find the flex to be fine...hate to get into something "iron stiff". Not my idea of fun. Ian (Firewalker) has nothing but great things to say about the RC10's as he uses the softest toungue.

I'm currious, did you try on the RC 10's while you were there to get a good feeling of the diference in flex between them

Yeah, I did, and they were stiffer, but not crazy stiff. It could just be me, coming from race stiff ski boots, but I didn't find the Stratos stiff either...

It may be that the ATB shell is softer than the RC's, I can't be sure if that's the case, so maybe it'd be a good idea to talk to with the NA rep. It's possible that the RC * and ATB share the same shell, then the RC 10 has the stiffer shell. Be sure and let us know what the rep reports.

The three tongue stiffnesses are a nice trick, they are very different, I have all three and the reds are rubbery soft, the black feels more like a ski boot tongue, and the grey are super stiff. I'm playing with the idea of running a stiffer tongue and keeping the boot cuff in free mode, that way I get the cuff stiffness without the = shell deformation.

They are super high tech boots, custom canting is a sweet set up. I contacted the NA rep about getting the AT/BC sole kit for my RTR to make up some retrofit ATB's, said it'd work fine with a little fine tuning.

My big plan is to add a dynafit styled cones in the toe so I can use them for splitting :)

Pictures to follow...

Hiya Randy (^_^)

At 230lbs you're a big dude! l don't think you'd have any problem at all flexing an RC10. l'm 170lbs and with the red tongues l can squish this boot regardless of whether or not l am in free flex or "locked in". The spring at the back is adjustable as well so you really can fine tune it. Don't let the race pedigree fool you... the forward flex is still much more forgiving than a ski boot, however the lateral flex is approaching ski boot stiffness. lf you're pairing up with TD3 SW's even the lateral stiffness will be subdued. l have a Kessler too with RC10's and SW's and l am wanting for nothing, except snow.

Personally l think you'll find the ATB's too soft for you. lt's easier to soften up an RC10 than to stiffen up an ATB. With the red tongues l am sure you'll get all the flex you need PLUS the support... and if you find yourself needing more, just pop the standard black tongues back on, or just put one on the front foot. l may try that next season.

The RC10 are iron stiff and if they fit perfectly with your feet everything is super otherwise you'll have a lot of trouble.

ATB are too soft for a lot of people who had used them.

The 8 are the right ones for non competitors high level carvers.

Head are quite stiff , NW .900 are very expensive, impossible to find but wonderful.

A lot of rumors about Dal Bello Krypton but they are very stiff too.

What are the 8s? I'm in the market for new boots. Thanks for any feedback.

UPZ RC8. 4 buckle medium stiffness boot. According to UPZ cheaper shell plastics, but same material as Deeluxe (should not be as resistant against stiffness changes with changing temperatures as the ATB and the RC10).

Good boot, can easily be made stiffer and softer with red, black oder grey tongues.

Don't know where to buy it in the US.

I agree, get the RC 10 and see what you think of the stock mid stiff tongue, if they're too stiff, get the softer tongue. I don't see any place in NA where the RC 8 is available.

Also consider trying different liners, this can really affect the feel of the boot, so if you feel the boot is too stiff at first, thow in your old boot liners and ride for while, then start working in the new liners.

Thanks guys; just getting back on to check out the responses. I appreciate the input as always. Ian, sorry for getting your avatar name wrong. Always a pleasure hearing your input, and you were correct in saying in our previous conversations that jumping into 2011 with both feet (board, boots and binding) would more than likely happen. Yes, to much power lifting over the years turned me into a rhino. I might just get Dan to send me a pair of 10's with the softest tongue and give them a shot as you and NB suggest. I'm no racer and simply want a well made boot that I can use in most conditions with my new Kessler.