Note to New Members ×

new member ,, with a few general Q,s

ballistic

Hell, yeah!

I teach at Cypress! There is a pretty healthy carving scene in vancvouver, better then in Whistler, I'd say. Another 7-8 Bomber members ride the local Van mountains, mostly Cypress: CarvingScooby, Tennorman, Ruwi, Crucible, Cusin of Beagle... There are few others who don't post on Bomber.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25734&stc=1&d=1296720989

I have a garage full of boards, alpine and freeride, suitable for plates, that you can try. No problem for the bindings either. Boots, depending on your mondo size...

hey thanks for the offer.. i'll have to meet up with you guys ,,, and see what this carving scene ye speak of is all about. I'm SZ 9 or 9.5 dont know my mondo size. I'm thinking it would even be fun to following some of you guys and get a close look at what a day on the mtn is for hardbooters. So many you guys at cypress?? man i had no idea. I logged about 30 days last season mostly at cypress.. it was a great season.

i totally agree with the sentiments that its not necessary to have only one board. I usually have at least 3 or 4. I oftn bring 2 boards in my truck up the mtn so i can switch things up when/if needed. The comment to focus on getting a setup for mainly groomers makes perfect sense.

driver X boots, i have had 2009, 2010 and 2011 but i sold the 2011 before using them. Its true, older driverx boots stiffer... HOWEVER... the 2011 had a plastic tongue stiffener thing u could put in or remove which seemed promising but like i say, i did not ride those boots. My K2 T1 Db with thier intuition liners and superior heel hold.. i like them better. I hope burton fixes thier flaccid boots:eplus2: You know, driver x are maybe ok for lighter riders, but me at 215lb. uh... no.

Right, I bring minimum of 2 boards every time too, plus the one or 2 parked at instructors shed. Horses for courses.

With more forward angle your heel side would feel better and you'll get lower without "toilet seat". Softies can be pushed to about 40/20 forward stance, after that you start to loose the latteral support. Some people add 3rd strap asnd go 45/45, but then you might ride h/boots as well.

Meet some of the guys: Rod "Edgy", Boris "BlueB", Tony "Cousin of Beagle", Doug "Tenorman", Roy "Carving Scooby"

attachment.php?attachmentid=25542&stc=1&d=1296245325

9, 9.5 shoe... I can put my head on the block you'd be about 26-26.5 mondo, in which case I'd have boots. Stand barefoot, heel against the wall, mark the longest toe to the floor, measure in cm = mondo size.

Get in touch at the beggining of the winter and we'll set you up.

No, I'm actually skiing a snowboard:eplus2:

If I was riding a snowboard I'd wear lace-up boots held on by straps.

I think of myself equally as a snowboarder and a hardbooter,but I feel what I do is a hybrid of alpine skiing and mainstream snowboarding.I especially don't see what I do as a pure form of snowboarding in the pop culture sense.

Even though I started way back on Sorrels like many here I quickly started searching for the kind of response and feel I already had with my skis and boots for use on a snowboard,and was almost entirely on hardboots by 1989.I wasn't very good at any one thing but always loved the feel of the skiboots I used back then, and used them for everything.

As a reformed telemark skier, I did miss my poles when I went on a boarding exclusive this past June, BUT, poles are kinda useless if you can't skate...

For me, I skied because it allows a lot of freedom, but at a cost: More gear, more stress, more, more, more.

As I get older I am trying to get back to basics, simpler ways to do things, like riding a single speed bike or unicycling. Telemarking is very gear intensive, requires special bindings, special boots, lots of issues with function (activity) in order to get the right "feel".

Whereas in boarding, anything will slide, gear is a lot more generaizedl, so what ends up mattering more, in my opinion, is the board. This is what should matter, picking your board for your style.

I also like that I no longer need to worry some much about gear failure, non release injury, and yard sales :biggthump

Yeah, yeah, I know what some of you are thinking, carving/boarding is not that simple, but trust me, compared to telemark, all types of sliding are simple :o

So,. anyone wanna trade carving gear for telemark gear? I got some cutting edge stuff, prototype super active bindings made by a guy in his Vermont basement (seriously).

As to poles, I don't think you'll see me with poles except in the BC, on piste I prefer to leave my poles in the car, same thing when I ski. Poles are just a crutch :rolleyes:

those are ski poles..? I thought someone was picking up litter... ;)

exactly:biggthump

I've done that but need barbs or something at the pole tips so the candy wrappers, beer cans & trail maps don't slip off after being stabbed. Better to carve low around the item and grab it since your hand is in the snow already:eplus2:

they have these newfangled things at the top & bottom of the lifts, waist high cylinders with a hole in the lid designed to accept your used food and drink containers, dam litterbugs:smashfrea

As a reformed telemark skier, I did miss my poles when I went on a boarding exclusive this past June, BUT, poles are kinda useless if you can't skate...

I find the reverse to be true, that's why I started using them in the 1st place

This is what should matter, picking your board for your style.

My style is a bit uncommon

I also like that I no longer need to worry some much about gear failure, non release injury, and yard sales :biggthump

Yeah, yeah, I know what some of you are thinking, carving/boarding is not that simple, but trust me, compared to telemark, all types of sliding are simple :o

I took up tele for BC access & the challenge of skiing on tiptoes but found one board to be more fun with less effort

As to poles, I don't think you'll see me with poles except in the BC, on piste I prefer to leave my poles in the car, same thing when I ski. Poles are just a crutch :rolleyes:

Ahm shpeshul 'n luv me helpers, I call one drybutt & the other dryknees

I'm an untrained nonprofesional, don't try this at home

5335537199_6ffe221dc2.jpg:smashfrea

I've done that but need barbs or something at the pole tips so the candy wrappers, beer cans & trail maps don't slip off after being stabbed. Better to carve low around the item and grab it since your hand is in the snow already:eplus2:

How about a forehead spike, like a unicorn, then the air pressure would prevent the trash from falling off till you got to the bottom :biggthump

• 5 months later...