Note to New Members ×

Oppinions: small crack in ABS Sidewall. Problem?? Please look

turbocbr600

Hello all!

One of my boards has a small crack in the sidewall near the tip of the board. I did a search and didn't find anything, except that ABS sometimes cracks in cold temperatures. Is the board safe to ride like this? Is it $$ to fix this? Should I even bother fixing it? Sorry for the crappy pic. The board is a Burton Fusion 160 Thank you all in advance.

IMG_0042.jpgIMG_0046.jpg

I have one board that has a splice in the sidewall from the builder. I think it just keeps the core covered and transfers pressure to the edges. As long as it is tightly glued to the core on both sides of the cracks, it should be fine. Some good flexible epoxy(tognar) will fix it up in a jiffy. It should not affect the board flex much as it is taken care of by the core.

Hello all!

The board is a Burtom Fusion 160 Thank you all in advance.

As for your BURTOM...

Burtom is a Chinese company notorious for shoddy workmanship and patent infringement on Burtons proprietary designs and trademarks. Their three hole binding pattern with the three holes in a straight-line across the board and plastic inserts with faux stainless steel graphic paint show their lack of design forethought and integrity-

What you see is not ABS but orange dried Wonton skin wrappers cracking. You could try ordering a bunch of steamed dumplings from your local chinese takeout (about $6.95 + $3 delivery charge) and using a putty knife to smear it in the crack- bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to make the new wonton bond with the old. JB Weld Epoxy would be significantly stronger, but would not taste as good. Ghetto rigging a putty knife over a crack pipe torch and "hot knife" melting the crack (Wonton skin is what you refer to as ABS) together would make it last for a few runs before you feel like you might end up with more crack.

Do not use a hot spoon thinking "your fix" will be smoother and last longer, that's for Heroin only....and God knows carving is addictive enough without Heroin AND crack use.

Carvers who overflex their boards and end up using too much Crack repair glue have been known to carve large cracks in the slopes - called Lines, which they form using the sharp edge of their boards like a razor blade.

You can see some of them using Speed in conjuntion (also addictive- and will cause them to shake afterwards) oddly not to get "higher", but to get "lower" so they can snort the line WHILE THEY MAKE IT!

They can't even wait to finish cutting their line (likely for fear of someone poaching their line---- see the greed for getting the first line)...which is how addictive carving really is. True addicts can be found starting their addictions early in the Morning often loitering in parking lots an hour or more before the slopes open... they are easy to spot often their clothing has holes caused by snorting lines while using speed, white powder is almost always found under their nose and on their face, and they babble incessantly about how great their last line was, and how they can not wait to do it again ...and how "Speed is their friend"- choosing this addiction even over their closest friends and girlfriends who they abandon at home often for several days at a time to get "low", and huge expenditure of money on paraphernalia ie. many different boards with razor edges, Metal bindings (which can withstand prolonged use without breaking) and specialized boots and 4 wheel drive vehicles...in some rare cases..gasp! Crack Houses (ski Condos bought for making cracks in the slopes) .

Just look at where these Burtom Wonton skin sidewalls got you. A crack addiction:lol:

The new term of carving cracks in the slopes with friends has been termed "Fracking" and is so addictive that even the Oil industry executives with dwindling oil resources are thinking of shifting their dying business model to this to remain the most profitable of all corporations.

Burtom....That's what is coming out of China nowadays. (sigh)

- or save your self time hassle and risk....turn that board into a bench and buy a North American made board from Prior, Donek, or Coiler... it's the ticket to the higher place.

I suspect John is one of those who experimented with the pusher-pull turn technique quite early and was soon getting into the hardplate stuff. You can see the tracks on his limbs and I have heard that he has often O/D'd on heroin snow days. Sure, he thought the soft stuff was safe to play with but soon he had a 5 board a year habit and now he is mainlining titanal. Some say the stuff has made him Madd as a hatter.

Just an innocent question about crack in your sidewall...you couldn't know the flashbacks this would provoke from one so hopelessly addicted.

I suspect John is one of those who experimented with the pusher-pull turn technique quite early and was soon getting into the hardplate stuff. You can see the tracks on his limbs and I have heard that he has often O/D'd on heroin snow days. Sure, he thought the soft stuff was safe to play with but soon he had a 5 board a year habit and now he is mainlining titanal. Some say the stuff has made him Madd as a hatter.

Just an innocent question about crack in your sidewall...you couldn't know the flashbacks this would provoke from one so hopelessly addicted.

I skipped the gateway softboot set up after riding for a mere 5 days and went straight to hardboots in 1982.

That Fusion... it will bring good cash on Ebay even though it is a Burtom as most skidders won't know the difference.