Note to New Members ×

I need a new board and I want it to be cute...

ENNY

Hi, I defenitly need a new board I think I have a Burton Factory Prime or Ultra Prime 5.1, Its way to short for me I feel like I am going to just flip over on it...Lets see I am 5'4'' and little, and race for school...Does Anyone have any suggest for what kind of length or kind to get... or even better have any there willing to sell...All the help is defenitly appreciated cause I don't know what to get...thanks New Bindings would be good to So I can ride both boards whenever, but I have enought boots to last a while...Thanks again...

New Burton Speed 158 - year 2002 $100 + shipping.

I could include a new pair of Burton Race plates for an additional $100.

158:

Waist = 21cm

Eff Edge = 137cm

Sidecut Radius = 8.7m

It's the one on the left. Black/White Top, Stickers still on the base. I'm a poor judge of cuteness, but my wife likes her 149 that looks just like it. The white part has kind of a paisley inlay that sparkles in the sun.:D

nc3gk

nc3h1

what events do you race?

what boot size do you wear?

what's your price range?

my suspician is that you need a narrower board (as in under 20cm) and depending on what you race and what the conditions are typically (and how much you go out and play) a board somewhere around 155-165 would be peachy. maybe a used volkl renntiger would rock. some peeps find the nose to be too soft, but i dunno. i haven't had a chance to ride mine yet.

also, i think burton's factory primes are pretty decent (i have only ever ridden a friends for a bit, but it was a great deal of fun and a huge step up from my alp) although often stiff. you can always check out www.klugriding.com to find new burton gear. for instance, you can grab a 164 fp with a 19cm waist and "soft flex" for $160.

prior's selection of demo boards is pretty interesting. they often have boards that have never been ridden on there (or have a day) so that could be a good place to check out as well. maybe you can score one with a flower topsheet and save yourself $200.

so hey, look around and good luck.

and hey, remember to use your friends wisely. as in, if you have computer savvy or graphic design majors who like doing goofy things, maybe you can have someone make stickers for you to elevate your board's cute status.

Guest Randy S.

Call Sean at Donek. He'll help you choose the board that's right for your size/skills and you can either choose from their cool graphics, or send him some fabric to use for a topsheet. It'll be so cute! Plus it'll have your name printed on it under the topsheet.

Thanks for all of your help with this, I guess I am just a little confused on what size new board I still need. I just race GS around here but I dont' know what size board that means...I think its longer...And I think thats what I want...Maybe a Volki board would be great...I wear a size 23 or 23.5 boot so its nice I don't have any toe drag...If you have a board to sell I would love to look at it...

Ohh yeah and what I mean by cute is no manly board...haha...I don't know pink would be great though...

and hey, remember to use your friends wisely. as in, if you have computer savvy or graphic design majors who like doing goofy things, maybe you can have someone make stickers for you to elevate your board's cute status.

Or if you don't have graphic design/computer art geeks that like doing goofy things, then email this one right here. He'll take the project, despite being busy with putting a website together. frappe@lunaticus.net (the parent site of that address has some of my older pieces on it, btw)

Enny,

I lived in Marquette for about five years and raced in the thurday night race league. I rode a Burton Ultra Prime 168 and did quite well. The speed series replaced the Ultra prime series as far as I can Tell. If you are only going to ride one board this is it. You can take it everywhere steeps to flats. If you are looking for a team for Thursday nights go to the ski school at Marquette Mouitain and ask for Brad. See if Hello Nasty has any openings, tell him Tim O'Brien sent you. By the way if you fly fish, Brad can show you the best fishiing in the midwest in not the country.

-Tim

Just some info for you Tim.

http://www.alpinecarving.com/board_models.html#discontinued

- The last alpine board from Burton was the '03 Speed, in lengths of 154, 158w, 164, 168w, and 178. The Speed has the shape of a race board and the flex of a freecarve board. Two of the lengths came wide: the 158 (21 cm), and the 168 (22.5 cm). The wide models may be able to accommodate the ExtremeCarving style of carving (a poor man's SWOARD). The older Ultra Primes also had a race shape with a freecarve flex: these boards have the right stiffness for a very lightweight person who wants a really long board for racing.

- Except for the old Burton Coil, Burton carving boards are generally considered less highly than the European brands. The Coil replaced both the Alp (a freecarver) and the Wire (an all-mountain board), and is considered a good all-mountain carver. The Wire is considered an OK all-mountain board, as well as its predecessor, the E-deck.

So yeah, the Speed is a good choice for you Enny if your in it's weight bracket (I'd say ~150lb. would be about right for this one) if you're looking for a softer flexing board and want a turny board (that's a pretty low sidecut).

FYI though the Speed may be just a tad too narrow for EC, it's sidecut is way off. ~13m is recommended for EC. www.extremecarving.com

DrCR

________

so yeah, you do have smallish feet. if you are looking for pink, get a rossi race VAS with the pink base. granted, they have microcell foam cores and a lot of folks think that's garbage, but it can still provide a sweet ride for a good time. granted this opinion is based on my 150 lb butt riding the snot out of a 146 board for many years.

mr E has a 166 for sale for 150. i figure a board that length would be about as long as you are tall. i don't know offhand what the waist width of it would be, but it should be relatively narrow (mine's 18cm). possibly worth looking at. these boards "ride long" for their length.

and if you enjoy stripes, by all means get a renntiger. something a little over 160 probably is alright. and hey, check out the gear reviews and see what folks are saying.

another question is what your riding style is. how do you race?

sorry, i'm obviously pushing for a narrow board for you. i just think that there's a point where a board gets too fat when you try to set your binding angles by lining your toes and heels up with the edges. and since you have small feet, well, you don't need a fat board to ride at low angles. what angles do you currently ride at??

Typical G.S. size for females is around 164-173 with a side cut of about 10-13m. Don't get that 158 speed listed up there that is a guys SL board and won't do you any good because the flex won't be right and the sidecut is wrong for what you want. As far as waist width goes figure out about what stance angles you like to ride and you foot size and look for a board with a width that will put your boots as close to the edge as possible without draging for the angles you want. If you like the angles you currently ride on you 151 look for a similar width. Don't throw away the 151, someday you might want to do some SL races and this would probably be a good SL stick for you. As far as cute goes Donek made a cute pink board for Michelle Gorgone, you could contact him about that.