Note to New Members ×

Chris Klug on OLN tonight

patmoore

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by johnstewart

Well, I Tivoed this and every episode of Fearless since (that didn't have a conflict on my tivo).

Every time it's been labeled as Chris Klug/snowboarder, it's actually been this annoying pud basejumper dude.

Has anyone managed to see Chris?

I, too, have been BASE-jumping my way into frustration. So I've taken to TiVo'ing every Fearless episode as well - maybe the one about the naked amply-endowed bodysurfer in shark-infested waters will end up being about Klug ;) I'll let y'all know if that's the case.

I got the base jump segment too.

When younger, I logged a little over 2000 jumps but never tried a base jump. It was just starting to get popular when I hung it up in 1976. I thought those guys were crazy back then but the stuff on OLN is insane.

Watching one kid tracking under the bridge while the other one slammed into it gave me chills. In a fourteen year career I had to ride my reserve chute down five times. Jumping from under 1000 feet leaves no time for spares.

Another thing. A friend who was an active base jumper told me that when he climbed the TV towers for antenna jumps the radiation was so strong that the hardware on his harness would be warm to the touch. It didn't occur to him that he was frying his brain. On the other hand, if he had any sense to begin with, he wouldn't be trying to open between tower cable supports in the first place.

One of the first base jumpers was a guy named Carl Boenish who made a name for himself as the first truly great air to air photographer. While in Sweden a number of years ago he was faced with a base jump from too low an altitude or climbing down. He made the wrong choice.

I guess it would be cool to make one base jump from a high bridge (no danger of entaglement with building, cliff, or tower) but at age 58 I'd rather get my thrills on an alpine board.

I'll keep trying to get the Chris Klug segment.

Pat

Here's some more video of Jeb:

http://media.hugi.is/hahradi/fyndnar/jeb_2003big.wmv

As for that bridge thing, all I could think was "play with fire, gonna get burned". Seemed like they tried to make it this tragic event... WTF? They were doing extremely dangerous things because it turned them on.

No sympathy at all from me.

Now, this is coming from someone who would like to do it, too. I just don't expect anyone to shed tears (other than the wife and family) because I go splat.