Note to New Members ×

Alpine and Skiing compatibility

BlueB

Here is a proof that skiers are perfect for cross-over to alpine. It works other way too.

Gary, 1st time hard boots, 2nd time ever, snowboard:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z9X-XStgzTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gary is an ok "old school" skier, who, after a long break, stepped onto modern skis. Other day we strapped him onto 3800 with plates and his ski boots. He carved cleaner then he does on his skis! His only other outing on softboots was 5 years ago (he could do sliding turns right away too, but no carving).

Roy (Scooby), 1st time on skis, carving already:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8I0-FnRfwAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As we know, Scooby is a good snowboard carver. He picked a pair of skis and carved both edges from the get go. Even before he learned to stop efficiently.

Roy filmed this from the chair, at Gary's 3rd run! Few runs later he was already 50% better. Besides more upright thorso, he managed to keep the leading hand at the heel side of the board.

I'll try to film him again next time we ride together.

previous to a couple weeks ago, i haven't touched skis for 25 years. found it interesting how snowboard carving affected my initial approach to them (as opposed to my recollection of the fall line j-turn / tail swishing technique of the olde days). ie, turning by tilting them on edge & seeing what they do; lo & behold, they turn! wild newfangled ski tech. apart from the weirdness of having independently mobile feet, it's not a huge leap of skill transference. having the feel for a carving edge on snow is the core. kinda fun, actually.