Note to New Members ×

prior bx / hardboot bx board ramblings

xy9ine

Would it hurt to have a bigger nose over and above what's already there?

no, I'm just an aesthetics victim. though I haven't had experience with alot of boards I'm not totally convinced a pointier shovel does much with the new decambered noses, ie a longer decambered square nose being more forgiving than a short tight radius shovel with a round profile - yet the square gives you more edge. granted, this is a bit of conjecture mixed with relatively limited experience on my part. I just like to geek out sometimes.

...I'm not totally convinced a pointier shovel does much with the new decambered noses, ie a longer decambered square nose being more forgiving than a short tight radius shovel with a round profile - yet the square gives you more edge.

I'm not sure if you completely got my point... What I'm saying is imagine your Kessler, just as is, then extend the square nose, curvature just as is, into something bigger/rounder. You'd end up with a bit longer board, that can ride some pow in commanding manner, instead of just "ok". Best example was my recently acquired (and killed) Aggression 163 freeride. AHead of their times, they've put about 15cm of decamber to the nose, then still went for a big freeride nose ahead. Even a bit too abrupt showel curve, for my taste. The thing had stupendous float for such a small board - with almost no taper, or offset to the inserts and no offset induced by me, it floated through freshies like crazy. Nidecker Proto is a lot like that too, yet has just marginal decamber. Last but not least, the Kessler BX is like that too. However, I'd like to see even more nose ;)

As for the short tight radius shovel (old school race), you are absolutelly rigt - yuck. That's why most of the Burtons, Priors and Generics ride better in soft conditions then their contemporaries - gentler and longer shovel profile.

no, I'm just an aesthetics victim. though I haven't had experience with alot of boards I'm not totally convinced a pointier shovel does much with the new decambered noses, ie a longer decambered square nose being more forgiving than a short tight radius shovel with a round profile - yet the square gives you more edge. granted, this is a bit of conjecture mixed with relatively limited experience on my part. I just like to geek out sometimes.

A lot of us have had experience with many boards. Trust us, a longer nose allows for a ton more float and chop-cutting regardless of rocker. As for aesthetics, a board with a huge nose floating in the pow is way sexier than a flat-nosed board just barely making it.

Take two boards with identical specs, but with different shaped noses, and the one with the bigger nose will perform better across a variety of conditions then the flat-tip board.

I'm not sure if you completely got my point... What I'm saying is imagine your Kessler, just as is, then extend the square nose, curvature just as is, into something bigger/rounder. You'd end up with a bit longer board, that can ride some pow in commanding manner, instead of just "ok".

ah, si; i won't dispute that. i just read something like gilmour's review of the virus ufc (in powder), and figure this is the sort of tool that could be a one board quiver - for me. the number of pow runs i do in a season (of any significant depth) a can count on my hands (one hand this season, sadly), so pow performance isn't at the top of my list of priorities. i'm fine w/ a little compromise here & there; hardware rarely detracts from my ability to have fun, and i do place a bit of a priority on simplification. i'm nearly conflicted w/ having 3 snowboards at the moment...

Someone needs to manufacture a tunable leaf spring that would run from a Boiler plate out to mid-nose, and a clamp-on nose extension (like an XC-ski repair tip) for deep pow. Fin? Ya busy? And somebody else would have to manufacture a limp-nosed board to go with it. Bruce - you don't want to be golfing with a sore finger anyway, right?

Speaking of over-the-top hardware, did anybody notice a ski, in the front window of a shop on hunter just below the Aspen gondola base, with a Vist riser/leaf springs/GPS/laser sights/lift-line decimator gadget on top of it? The ensemble resembled nothing so much as a cross between a compound bow and a snowmobile. I don't know how much of the contraption was made by Vist - it's not on their website.