Note to New Members ×

Liner Fin-Tec cable question

Kurt Swanson

I recently purchased a set of boots (Deeluxe 325) and molded the liners. After a couple of hours riding I began to experience some pain on the outside of both heels where the cable runs up the side of the liner. I'm wondering about have the heels punched out where the cable is. Anyone else have this experience? What was your solution?

i experienced the same problem. i cut some water pipe insulation to make rings. i duct taped the rings at the very bottom wall of the boot. i also duct taped the cable along the side of the boot. i could still feel the cable but the pain wasn't as sharp.

nowadays i hardly notice it.

The heels of my boots seem to be on the narrow side, so I'm not sure if adding some padding on either side of the cable is gonna' make the situation worse. My rear foot is actually more painful than the front. I did notice less pain if the buckle over the ankle wasn't cranked down as hard.

More experimentation I guess!

Were your liners heat molded with the cables already in the shell?

I had by boot fitter tape the cable sleeves to the inside of the boot shell just behind my ankle bone. Then the liners were heat molded. Now when I take my liners out there is a small molded "groove" that fits the cable sleeve perfectly.

If I ever put the liners in and don't have the cable in the groove it is painful.

• 3 weeks later...
Sultan,

Yeah, I molded the liners with the cable in the boot. The boot heel is just so narrow that I think I'll feel the cable no matter what I do. I'm going to have the heel stretched out tonight. Hopefully that gets rid of the pain.

Did you ever solve you problem? I am starting to feel the pain because of the cable (I did mold it with the cable. However, this just started at then end of the 2nd season with the red thermo liner... Maybe I need to remold the liner, but was wondering if punching the heel would also help.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried running their cables up the inner (medial) aspect of their boot shells?

I use a clip-in front, step-in rear binding setup. I have developed a painful swelling (inflammation +/- bone spur) on the outside aspect of my rear heel (lateral calcaneum) caused by pressure from my Intec cable. The pain has been a problem both with the original liners to my Head Stratos Pro boots, and with Deeluxe red mouldable liners moulded with the cable in place to create a groove for the cable. The pain is much more noticeable when I'm boarding but not carving, because of traffic or snow conditions. I've kept the pain tolerable by using a Scholl clear hydrogel blister plasters applied before riding. Just tried medial cable placement and carpet carving it feels fine. Anyone tried this for real?

SunSurfer

Got the painful inflammation and swelling on the outside of my heel in a set of Deeluxe 225s with Fintecs last year. Punching the boot heel or molding the liner didn't help. I was only able to ride in them for about 3 hours before the outside of my heel would complete swell up over a bone spur.

Interestingly I didn't get the same pain or swelling from my UPZ RTRs with Fintecs and a Deeluxe 141 liner. I think that because the UPZ heel is further forward it seems to put the cable in a better position. Anyways I've ordered a set of ATBs this season to replace the 225s.