Note to New Members ×

F2 Speedster RS vs. Nidecker SL

marc_delarche

Hi,

I am looking into buying my first hardboot board. I have been riding softboot for a long time.

I weight 160lb.

I will be riding groomers and ice here in the East (QC).

I would like to be able to ride the narrower ski slopes, not just the super wide main slope of the resort.

I have a nice softboot setup already so I don't need something too "all-around" or "do-it-all".

I am hesitating between:

F2 Speedster RS 169

and

Nidecker SL 158

Maybe neither is suited to my needs...let me know.

Thanks for helping me out!

Marc

This should be really in the main forum, as it is an inquiry, not a review. You'd get more exposure there. You could ask Jack to move it...

Other then that, those 2 are very different boards. One is a "baby" GS, the other one SL board. How narrow is the narrow slope? Mybe SL if really narrow...

How big are your boots?

I guess I will have to decide between slalom or GS board.

What do you mean by "baby" GS? Is there a good reason for picking a GS board shorter than normal?

I haven't bought boots yet but my usual size is 10.5.

Here are the boards specs:

Nidecker SL 158

effective edge 1380

radius 8600

waist 196

F2 Speedster RS 169

effective edge 1580

radius 14m

waist 189

Thanks for your help!

I have a Nidecker SL but I think it is a 163. This is the first alpine board I have ridden (with the small exception of my first board which is a Burton Alps that I barely rode before buying the Nidecker).

I rode soft boots with high angles for a long time. I found by starting alpine on a relatively short board it was much easier to get the hang of it. I also really like having a short radius board to be able to navigate crowded slopes better.

I bought my board through the classified on this site (brand new a few years old).

Good luck in your decision.

I'd try riding different style boards.

Personally I have large (GS) boards and I don't use 'em because in practice at resorts it's hard to ride quick enough, hence I mostly ride slalom boards. You can still be pretty much the fastest on any mountain with features on it and you don't have to be riding Mach 2 to have fun. I have an old Speedster SL you could try but it's here and you're there so that is not hugely useful.

No, the Speedster RS is the only one available at the local shop...but nothing forces me to buy a brand new board there.

If I should go with a GS board, which length should I consider buying? I weight 160lb.

Thanks!

Why don't you talk to Dave and Andrea at YYZCanuck (www.yyzcanuck.com) they are based out of Toronto and can supply you with F2 boards, bindings, etc...

Dave