Note to New Members ×

Plates and Freestyle Boards

Big D

The Moose is Loose...

Thanks for the rec., I just checked out the Dual. I think the 175 might be the one for me. Sounds like the thing is brand new. I am looking for something I can ride in the powder and in spring conditions through the crud and playing in the slush in the trees.

I will second that. An aggressive and/or heavy rider using plates on a softboot-oriented board is just asking for it to break.

I'm using bombers on a late 90s model alpine that I had to countersink stainless T-nuts into. At 190 lbs and trying to break it but just can't do it ;)

Q: Can I use hardboots on my freeride board?

A: Yes. In fact, the cheapest way to try hardboot snowboarding is to just buy some bindings and use your existing ski boots or buy some cheap snowboarding hardboots, and use your freeride board. But while hardboots allow you to realize greater carving ability, they also reveal the limitations of your equipment. Most freeride boards are simply not up to the task of handling the forces carving generates, and you may quickly find your freeride board folding or chattering as you begin to carve harder.

Hey big D I have the 163 dual and for my size it's perfect. The swoard dual is the best all mountain board I have ever been on it's both soft and stiff at the same time the atc matrix design by swoard is amazing. The dual is very light also.

I think you mean soft longitudinally, but not too soft, and very stiff torsionally so it does not twist funny when high on edge like many freeride noodles.

Rob is a 200lbs guy on hardboots on them without problem (I'm too lightweight to weigh in , no pun intended, on gear durability)

His review is here: http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15