Note to New Members ×

The first day

charliechocolate

... was rather painful. I sprained my ankle last week but after getting new liners for a pair of used boots, the idea of trying out my set up was too much to resist.

So there I was on top of the bunny hill eager to see what all the fuss is about this carving business. Clip in front foot, check. Clip in rear foot, wait, this is harder than it looks. How the hell do you get the rear bail behind the heel and have it stay there? It's worse than threading a needle blindfolded. I gave up trying to do it standing so clipped in while sitting down like any real noob would.

Okay, clipped in and ready to conquer the bunny hill. Slid down, picked up speed, tried to dig in toe edge but couldn't because 60/60 angles are too steep. Faceplant.

I go back to the shack to change the angles down to something like 35/35. I try again, this time with somewhat better results. Why does my back leg feel like it's useless? Man these angles feel weird.

At this point, my feet were throbbing so I decide to take a break and walk back to the chalet. I slipped on an icy path and further hurt my ankle. Funny how it should happen now while I'm off my board. So i called it a day.

It was fun, albeit a little demotivating. I'm trying to get this "norm" thing right and see how it goes from there. I think I was actually trying to ride this set up like how I would my softboot set up. That said, what practices carry over over from softbooting to hardbooting? What do I avoid? Inputs as to how I should progress are very much appreciated.

Hey! Where in BC are you? Vancouver, looking at another post of yours?

There is a bunch of h/booters riding at Cypress and few at Grouse and Seymore. Come ride with us at Cypress, we'll sort you out. Or, you can sign up for a formal private lesson with me (Boris), through Cypress Snow School.

I teach on Tuesdays, so I'm there tomorrow for sure. CarvingScooby too. We might go on Thursday too.

If on the hill and want to get hold of me, cell is: six04 six57 five733

Hey! Where in BC are you? Vancouver, looking at another post of yours?

There is a bunch of h/booters riding at Cypress and few at Grouse and Seymore. Come ride with us at Cypress, we'll sort you out. Or, you can sign up for a formal private lesson with me (Boris), through Cypress Snow School.

I teach on Tuesdays, so I'm there tomorrow for sure. CarvingScooby too. We might go on Thursday too.

If on the hill and want to get hold of me, cell is: six04 six57 five733

Hi, Boris! Expect a call from me soon :D

very few carvers ride comfortably with parallel angles, be they 60/60, 35/35, or even 0/0 on softies.

For me, if I have less than 5* difference (prefer 10*), whether a wide freeride board or narrow alpine, it feels like I'm always tripping, about to fall over. Especially when converting from a soft setup. I add some splay and suddenly everything feels stable.

Here's a good read.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30745&highlight=splay

...towards hardboot carving is learning to carve on your softboots. If you can't do the Norm on your softboots, you'll have a very hard time with hardboots. On easy terrain, you should be able to rail pencil-thin lines, change edges before the board points downhill, carve the downhill edge, and link fully carved turns all on your softboot setup. If your boots are dragging, use higher binding angles. After you are doing this, trying hardboots will come a lot more naturally.

very few carvers ride comfortably with parallel angles, be they 60/60, 35/35, or even 0/0 on softies.

For me, if I have less than 5* difference (prefer 10*), whether a wide freeride board or narrow alpine, it feels like I'm always tripping, about to fall over.

Very few? Where is this data? I ride parallel and know several who do as well.

I agree some splay will probably feel more familiar at first, but I wouldn't recommend more than 5-6 degrees unless you are naturally quite duck-footed.

obviously...listen to blueb and scooby if you can meet up with them. I'll relay my experience at first, without a teacher.

I had carving on softboots down ok. First run with hardboots, I had to start out just like I teach softbooting: find your edges so you can stop. I slipped down 50 yards toe, and then 50 yards heel. Then I started to go straight and stop toe, straight then stop heel. Treat it like softbooting for the first run or two and you will feel more comfortable. You have to know how to stop.