Note to New Members ×

Video Editing Software

STP

I posted the two videos with STP as the owner. My last video camera was a Oregon Scientific and workd very well for simplicity and waterproof, but did not have wide angle which was tougher to video on the catamaran and in the waves and did not show the POV that I had. Also in the snow it was very hard to aim without the wide angle. BUT I was able to easily edit the video using Windows Movie Maker that everyone has on their window based machines.

Now with the GoPro the HD movies are great, but I have been converting the video to AVI fromat and editing them with the Windows Movie Maker. I lose resolution with the conversion and therefore, I need a video editor for the GoPro MP4 so I do not need to convert.

Please give me ideas on best software to use for a windows based machine! Also, are there free software programs available?

It would also be nice to have editing software to enhance night videos as well. Here is a night video of racing that would be good to lighten up if possible.

... Now with the GoPro the HD movies are great, but I have been converting the video to AVI fromat and editing them with the Windows Movie Maker. I lose resolution with the conversion and therefore, I need a video editor for the GoPro MP4 so I do not need to convert.

Please give me ideas on best software to use for a windows based machine! Also, are there free software programs available?

I was using the GoPro stuff directly in Adobe Premiere Pro (settings and other notes

here. I would guess that the same thing would work in the consumer version of that program "Elements", which is about a tenth of the price. From what I remember that does the most important things.

You're probably aware of MPEG Streamclip, which is good and free and will convert from format to format... If I remember correctly AVI is a container not a codec, so converting to/ from it should not necessarily involve loss of data.

As far as bad light is concerned... I've not played much with it, but it seems rather like photography: garbage in, garbage out. That is, if the light looks dull/ dark/ bad when you shoot it, there's not a huge amount you can do about it in post. Sure, you can adjust the levels etc in the editor, but you don't have a huge amount of latitude.

I use an older version of premier which does not support the mp4 fils from the gopro. I have had good luck using the free software: MP4Cam2AVI

My settings are:

Output settings

action : Conver & join -> One AVI

video format: Source Video (no compression)

audio format: Source audio (no compression)

conversion is very rapid and there seems to be no loss of quality, just bigger files.

I used Sony Vegas Studio 10 HD. It's something like $99 to download and is relatively simple to use. It felt like a very nice and natural step up from Windows Movie Maker. It has more features than I'll ever use, though my three attempts at the motion stabilizer feature have been complete failures.