Note to New Members ×

way off topic - motion sensor lighting

gawdzira

After a few years on this forum I know there is at least one techno geek here that can help me out with this dilemna.

I am running lighting at my house and I would like some motion sensors to kick on lights at two points. I know I can hook up one of those store bought Stalag 13 looking motion sensor activated lights but the aesthetics make me kringe.

Are motion sensors available so I can just wire them onto a circuit? I would also like to have a switchable override so that I can keep the light on occasionally.

Thanks,

alan

Hey man, go to your local electrical wholesaler (the place the electricians go to get stock) and get a motion sensor that mounts on the outside of a cover plate for an octaganal box. you can place it anywhere you want the motion captured, and can use it to turn on regular lights if you wire it in series with the lights. If I recall correctly, when you turn off and on the power to the motion sensor quickly, it will stay on indefinitely, if you turn it off then wait a few seconds, then turn it on, it will arm the motion sensing.

Hope this helps.

Jason