Note to New Members ×

Lake Tahoe 12/10 - 12/11 Instructors wanted

Guest shan

Will be carving at Heavenly, on 12/10 - 12/11. Just got carving equipment last year, tried for 2 days and found myself face-planted or ass-planted. Dying to try again, but don't want to spend time learning bad habits. Does anyone know good instructors in the area? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Randy S.

Sorry, but I'll be racing at Alpine Meadows (north shore of Tahoe) on the 11th. Plus I suck at teaching. If you strike out here, try posting this over at Tahoecarvers

Oh, and you'll find more carvers at Kirkwood than at Heavenly. A large contingent of the Tahoecarvers crew ride down there. Its a short drive from South Lake Tahoe (where Heavenly is) to Kirkwood as long as its not snowing.

Have a great trip and enjoy the fantastic views from Heavenly.

...I got my first carving lesson a couple years back in Heavenly. I got lucky though - my company paid for group lessons (was back in the good days here in silicon valley when companies would take you to Tahoe to ski for a weekend). When I showed up for the group lesson I was the only somewhat advanced snowboarder and that way got a private lesson. :D And they had an instructor who knew how to carve...

You could call the resort and check if they have an instructor this year that can help you...

Randy's sugestion is pretty good too - just drive to Kirkwood and try to hook up with the tahoe carvers crowd...

I'm probably a worse teacher (and certainly not as good a rider) than Randy, but I'll be happy to make some observations and tips (mostly regurgitated from here).

The best carving is on Canyon Express on the CA side, or on Olympic double on the NV side. Olympic is empty but is a s.l.o.w. lift. Canyon has the terain park and halfpipe, so the other runs tend to be not so crowded, especially in the AM.

Kirkwood is 45minutes from South Lake with no traffic or weather. If you are getting a late start or there is snow, stay at Heavenly.

Checked out heavenly ski instructors, and behold, there IS someone! Hope he/she is good, thanks Hagen! Will also check out Kirkwood (thanks Randy), if there is time, sounds like the right crowd would be there... to watch me wipe out... and laugh...

Mark if you ARE there on Saturday, I hope we can hook up, it will probably be briefly, while I crash and you fly by pointing and laughing.:D

Heavenly has been a little MIA with my instructor queries. Now there seems to be no answer from them. Mark, if you are still checking this posting, once I hear from them, and get an instructor's name, I'll definitely pass it along. However, I will not be able to rate if they were any good yet...

Also will bring along a radio and tune in. Hope we can hook up. See you out there!