Note to New Members ×

Any information on these boots?

zoltan

Are these anything like the current UPZ boots?

UPZ used to be UPS, so those are basically very old UPZ, with F.A.S.T. heels. They look almost brand new. Aside from the lack of a power strap, the different lean mechanism, the cant/hinge bolt and the buckles, they look quite similar to the modern version. I am sure they are probably made of different materials.

Hey, I have that exact boot!

It's basically an older version of the newer UPZ's. Overall, a fairly flexible boot, but then again I'm about 200 lbs so most boots feel a bit flexy to me.

It's got a spring loaded lean mechanism that is like a very primitive version of BTS, similar to the system on the newer UPZ's.

I replaced the liner with deeluxe liners and new insoles and they are hella comfortable and warm.

If you want to make them a bit stiffer, you can always add a booster strap. I have one for my back leg only. I've been on these boots for about 5 seasons now and they work great for me. One note of warning, they have a lot of lean built in, you might want to adjust your bindings to compensate. Also, the heels are very close together, I have to put the heel and toe pieces for my TD2's almost at their closest setting in order to hold right.

Any chance you could compare their flex to Raichle or Deeluxe boots?

I'm seriously looking at these because UPS/UPZ boots fit me very well, but the RC10 boots I owned were way too stiff. If these are softer flexing, then they might be perfect for me.

Those should have come with two tongues. Stiff and soft. I can't recall which is which. But I'm pretty sure I have a pair of a slightly newer vintage sitting in the garage with the stiff tongues in them. That walk/ride mechanism works fine, but tends to flop up into ride mode if you're walking in snow.

Intuition liners + booster strap are mandatory upgrades IMO. My stock liners were crap, but Intuitions made them awesome.