Note to New Members ×

Another Head Stratos Pro Q

Hilux

I've upgraded to a pair of used HSP's and they are considerably different (in a good way) in flex than my ski boots. I got them used in great condition however have found that the previous owner was tinkering with the canting adjustment. Having worked in the ski industry in the past, I've always been advised to leave the canting alone. I just want to put it back to a neutral/stock position. The left boot is adjusted to the "top" or highest mark while the right is adjusted to the bottom. Not sure what this would achieve or how it will affect riding.

Sooo, I tackled the left one first and noticed the screw was tight but came undone eventually. The screw also looked stripped on the first couple threads too...I assume the whole length should be threaded yes? Then I noticed that the inside "receiver" part (oval nut with square back) was beginning to warp the plastic...not really bad but just enough to make me feel sick and stop what I was doing. My questions are....

1. Is this normal to be that tight?

2. Once this is all loosened how do I go about setting it back to stock? (I had the screw, oval washer m'bob and plastic outer circle out to assess but that's as far as I got). Is any part on the inside (where circle and the two parts of the shell/cuff meet) supposed to move so I can position the oval...does that make sense?

3. How do I avoid this and where can I get spare parts in case this goes to hell?

An unrelated question too and I've found limited info on this here and elsewhere online. How do I adjust or what do I use to move the slotted nuts at the back? Is there a stock tool? I've fashioned a tool for the meantime from an old small hinge but it's not a great fit and is softer metal. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance and would appreciate any input or advice. And sorry for anything that is unclear, I can take pictures or attempt to explain it better.

H

I got my HSPs with the canting out of whack out of the box. I found the screws to be tight but I was able to loosen them with an allen key. To get the canting to move isn't easy either. I took the liner out, held the boots on a table sideways with the canting adjuster facing up and gave the bottom shell a whack with my fist. That's about it.

Not sure where to get parts. Head Canada no longer even bothers stocking the boots.

I don't like the cant adjusters on these or the Rachlie/Deluxe boots. They're just complicated and more junk to go wrong.

My HSPs (latest model although I doubt they've changed) come with the cant adjusters randomly set. As stated, an Allen key (not the one supplied IIRC) fixed it for me.

I've had more trouble with the Deluxe ones in the past which work the same way. Deluxe spares are available online/ not sure about Head.

On my boots you want to set both adjusters to the middle.

Forgot to mention, for the flex adjustment wheel, just use a screwdriver to move it. Don't lever it, move the screwdriver sideways. This is if you want to bother adjusting it. I moved it both to the farthest setting both ways and found almost no appreciable difference in flex. I removed the power strap and swapped the tongue for the orange one to get the flex I wanted.

Forgot to mention, for the flex adjustment wheel, just use a screwdriver to move it. Don't lever it, move the screwdriver sideways. This is if you want to bother adjusting it. I moved it both to the farthest setting both ways and found almost no appreciable difference in flex. I removed the power strap and swapped the tongue for the orange one to get the flex I wanted.

Thanks skategoat. I found the thickest flathead screwdriver but the taper still caused it to slip a little. I did find a washer that works okay, still not great though.

Are the orange tongues supposed to be stiffer?