Note to New Members ×

Carve vs Race

durace

I just joined our company ski/snowboard race team. I have never run gates before. I know the team is like beer league softball but I don't want to look real bad. So what are the primary differences of free carving and running gates? It is a GS on a real small mountain... not sure how you can have a giant anything on less than 1000 vert but like I said I have never done this before.

Thanks for any tips.

Paul

the big difference would be the gates. the turn is determined by the placement of the gates. I would say a simple approach would be to look at carving pics of how to lower your ass and change your center of gravity to ride on edge. (you dont mention your style or experience) also dont stand straight up, and if you hear skidding and see snow flying like a snowplow, you are losing speed.

try to find a nice line down the gates and use your edge for nice clean turns, and stay balanced. when you try to get too aggressive is when you lose your form and crash into a fence as a begginner.

also if its a beer league you should drink liquer, as this will super charge your talents above your beer drinking competition.

I did a beer league in '98 at Shawnee Peak.... on a Factory Prime, Langes, and TD1s :eek: Can you say pain? The ruts were leg-snapping crazy. So crazy that I would take a really stupid line just to avoid them. Part of this was because the races would start at 4pm, and I couldn't get out of work and on the hill until 6:30 or 7. By then the course was shagged rotten. Some people took it very seriously - speed suits, armor, power bars, blood doping, etc, and they would be on the course at 4. Others would run the course half in the bag.

So I guess my point is that if you're not going to be on the course early, you will probably want to invest in some Sidewinders and/or a Boiler or Donek plate.

Some differences between freecarving and racing - in racing the primary goal is to get to the bottom the fastest (duh), but that means the first thought in your head needs to be to finish the race without falling or missing a gate or pulling the e-brake. So this means not necessarily carving every turn, and preserving balance above all else. And <s> if </s> when you do fall, get up, hop back up to the race line, and finish your run anyway. Even if that means taking 10 seconds to hop uphill to go around a gate the right way. If you give up and just go down the hill without completing the race you are DQ, your night is wasted, and your season standings take a big hit.

Then when you can start thinking about going faster, a general rule of running gates is that you want to start your turn early and be passing the gate in the bottom half of your turn. Sometimes that's not the case, like in a flush or other circumstances, but it's a good rule of thumb. I'm no racer though.

Don't look at the gate you are turning at, look one gate ahead.

So as you are entering and finishing your heelside you should already be looking ahead as the turn is being executed to the following toeside turn.

Like Jack said, you need to stay early in your turns down the course. By always looking one gate ahead you will be able to set your self up better for the following gate. Finish your turns high and start the turn early before reaching the gate you are targeting. You should reach the targeted gate at the end of each turn. As you exit the turn you need to already be looking ahead to set yourself up for the following gate and... repeat.

As a novice in racing myself, this technique helped me the most.

I've raced in beer leagues for years. First of all, you're most likely going to win. There won't be any other competitors on boards with hard boots. So just take it easy and you'll still be faster than all the other schmucks out there.

That said, JJ and Neil have good points. You may want to get a cheap soccer shin guard and strap it to your leading forearm. Like it or not, you're going to be racing with ski gates. They hurt when you hit them. You can cross-block them with your forearm pretty effectively if you armor up. Wear a helmet even if it isn't required. Sometimes you miss the gate and take it in the forehead.

1000 vert? McIntyre? Pats Peak? Crotched? You'll be surprised how much fun it can be racing at these places.

Some great stuff to think about... Thanks guys.

Yes Sinecure its Crotched.

MyKcuz, I have been on HB for about 14 years I am fast enough to watch Jack, Ben, Bob J., Goeff and EZE pull away from me at Sunapee. But I can keep up with them on the chair lift up.

Thanks Jack, I guess I need to pay more attention to EZE this season.

Paul

Ahh, well if you have 14 yrs under your belt, you shouldn't have much competition. I would think what would be more useful to you, is teaching your teammates the proper way to ride. If you can manage a top 3 finish consistently, it won't help if the others are sucking it up.

How do you think the other guys riding will stack up? Is this a long running league at work?

Also, if a teammate has a hot girlfriend cheer-leading for him, you shouldn't help him. Instead, work on some sweet carves and then feed her more beers and talk about talented you are while the guy is struggling to make it down the course.