Note to New Members ×

Jay Peak - Dec 13-15

Flashby

I just booked a trip with my wife to Stowe for Dec 12-15 but will also try to hit Smugglers' Notch, Sugarbush, and even Jay Peak while I'm there. I know Stowe would be able to satisfy me for 4 days but I wanted to try and get as much experience at as many different places as possible. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it here but will look for any other of us fine folks on the slopes.

Ha, no I don't but I'm not sure what day I'll be hitting each place but once I do then I'll clarify it. If there is a group of folks hitting Jay Peak on the 13th then I'll go there on the 13th rather than Sugarbush. I'm just putting some trips out there in case someone is heading to the same place and wants to give a newbie some pointers or insider tips. This is pretty much just to prep my trip in late-Jan to Bridger Bowl, Big Sky, Moonlight Basin, and Red Lodge. Gotta walk before I run and gotta tackle some 2,500 ft elevation slopes before the 7,500 ft elevation mountains.

It looks like I will have to sacrifice a little and spend 1 day at each of the 4 resorts here to get a taste of what each one offers and the different terrain and layout so I can get as much exposure and experience. I'm anticipating that I'll be at Jay Peak on Dec 13 or Dec 14 (and Sugarbush on the other day). I'll be heading back to Burlington on the 15th and don't want to start that trip from Jay Peak when I can start it from Smugglers' Notch. Sorry if we miss each other by just a day. I'm anxious to try out their RFID lift ticket setup.

No worries man. If you're in Burlington for the night, you should check out one of the following restaurants: American Flatbread or Vermont Pub and Brewery (or both!). Both have great food and excellent beer.

Where do you ski in PA? I grew up skiing Blue Knob. I'm guessing you're a 7 Springs local?

Those places are on my list but will only have time to hit one of them (Wed night) as the flight arrives late-late-late on Saturday night.

I'm about 90 min from Seven Springs and Hidden Valley but have a Season Pass to Seven Springs so that is the 'home' slope for me. In my short career (~7 weekends starting late-Feb 2010) I hit Seven Springs and then Hidden Valley once and Snowshoe once. Although I have a pass to Seven Springs I would like to see other places in the area (Wisp, Peak 'n Peek, Holiday Valley, Blue Knob, etc.). I am still new enough that anything works for me and just eating up any chance I can to get out there. Nice to see another former local from these parts.

Definately put Blue Knob on the top of your list. If you can get there mid week after big snow, it's a pretty amazing little mountain. Definately the longest runs in the area and some of the more challenging terrain. Plus, lots of glade skiing and some pretty long glades if you can find 'em. If you're ever heading to Blue Knob, feel free to send me a message and I'll give you the scoop on the good stuff to look out for.

If you're in Burlington for the night, you should check out one of the following restaurants: American Flatbread or Vermont Pub and Brewery (or both!). Both have great food and excellent beer.

I also see that the Magic Hat Brewing Company is in South Burlington, VT. Any thumbs up/down for taking the factory tour? Not many times am I in a place where there is a nationwide brewing company.

Definately put Blue Knob on the top of your list. If you can get there mid week after big snow, it's a pretty amazing little mountain. Definately the longest runs in the area and some of the more challenging terrain. Plus, lots of glade skiing and some pretty long glades if you can find 'em. If you're ever heading to Blue Knob, feel free to send me a message and I'll give you the scoop on the good stuff to look out for.

It is officially on the list. Thanks for the review. I doubt I will ever get to anything mid-week but will try to let you know. There is a chance that I'll be free on Dec 17 and can take a stab at it. I see that it is 2-1/2 hrs from me (without traffic out the nasty Rt 22 east of town so maybe I'll take 28 to 422). I'll see what I can do.

I can't personally speak for the Magic Hat tour. Seems like people are more apt to take the tour of Ben and Jerry's in Waterbury (close to Stowe). VT has some really excellent microbrews to keep an eye out for, Harpoon, Long Trail, Wing Walker, Switchback to name a few.

As far as Blue Knob goes, early season (pre-January) can be sketchy. See what percentage the mountain is open before taking that drive early season. (though I did hear they had to plow the roads this week)

It is officially on the list. Thanks for the review. I doubt I will ever get to anything mid-week but will try to let you know. There is a chance that I'll be free on Dec 17 and can take a stab at it. I see that it is 2-1/2 hrs from me (without traffic out the nasty Rt 22 east of town so maybe I'll take 28 to 422). I'll see what I can do.

Well, my wife and I have already done the Ben & Jerry's tour as well as the Vermont Teddy Bear tour. I'm sure we'll find something.

Blue Knob currently lists 0" of snow everywhere but that 68% of the trails are open and pics of the place show it completely snow-covered as of Nov 26. Grrr. Don't they realize how much we depend on webpage updates before taking a multi-hour drive somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

This was my third stop in Vermont on the dash-and-crash tour (4 resorts in 3 days). Did not know the layout and it was a bit confusing at the road sign and I ended up going to the rather rural-looking area initially by the Ski Patrol and T-bar line. The Lift Ticket person said I had to go to Customer Service on the other side of the resort to get my pre-purchased lift ticket. Argh. Again, like Sugarbush, this added about half an hour to the start of my day. The 'other' side is the nice, shiny new side so now I know. The conditions were high single digit temps, 20'ish mph winds, and lots of ice and no powder. I was a bit bummed since I was hoping for powder here but I hit it on a bad week (powder the week before and the week after my trip). Still made the most of it and rode my first authentic Black Diamond trail (though accidentally as the Intermediate trail at the top of that lift was closed and this was not indicated until you go to the top -- whoops). I survived it though. Was again disappointed that so many of the slopes were closed although the upper part was shutdown due to high winds I believe so they can't be blamed for that.