Note to New Members ×

Needed, 2024 T6 0r 7075 T6 Aluminum

jp1

I need a good grade of aluminum for a project, Preferably 7075-T6 or 2024-T6, 3/16" (.190") plate, or something equal in strength. I've called around to my local suppliers & shops in my area with NO luck. Does anyone here have any idea where I can find it? Any shops that do aviation fabrication, or a friend of a friend that knows Joe's uncle may work? Cut offs, small pieces would work, I only need (6) pieces roughly 7" x 9", or a strip 1' x4' that I can cut them out of.

stevo, Thanks but I have already tried them also. They only have 2024-T3 and 7075-T651. The 7075-T651 looks to be substantially less strength than the 7075-T6 (Yield Strengths, 68,000 psi as compared to 83,000 psi). I already tried and bent 6061-T6 (45,000 psi).

jp1

jp1,

Those are expensive grades of aluminum and not as prevalent as the classic 6061. However, they are very strong and are better to machine than 6061, which is soft in comparison.

Make sure you need these grades before going that route. Both 2024 and 7075 have some traits that make them tough to work with and bad for some application. For example 7075 should not be used in a high and constant tension application. 2024 is hard to coat with anodizing.

I use all three grades in the TD3 series binding but in very select areas due to there strengths and weaknesses.

If you can get away with 6061 go that route. Easy and cheap and very effective.

Try http://www.onlinemetals.com/. I have had good luck with them on the small pieces before.

Thanks, fin & marty . After researching Carbon Fiber, I just feel 'more comfortable' with the aluminum, so ordered the 7075-T6 from onlinemetals as you suggested.

This will be my final effort as this project is already 'in the red'. I can't even imagine the time and resources :eek: that go into developement of products for re-sale!