Note to New Members ×

Looking for some advice what to get the wife...

Flywalker

How about that Oxygen Proton in a 156?

Turns out after a few more questions wifey's got 3 seasons of soft booting under her belt.... waaaay back in the day. Dunno if if that will help or not. Mr. Scooby outlined the advantages/disadvantages of shorter vs. longer but l have faith that she will rock whatever board she gets. She's a little ball of muscle... ex gymnast/ballerina, great swimmer... sports nut case.

But... she is only 48kgs. l don't want her traveling at warp 9 just to flex the board before she's ready. Trees are not very forgiving!

And BlueB... her shoe size is a 23.5 but WIDE. She went up a shell size in the Langes because it was impossible to get her forefoot comfy in the smaller shell. Not sure about a Raichle 23.5 shell. l am still on the hunt for boots though. Haven't had much luck so far. There was a perfect pair of AF600's in 24.5 on eBay but the seller wouldn't ship outside the States. Tooooo bad.

Kinpa... thanks for your post. l understand your concern re: teaching spouses but l think it'll be just fine. l've been down this road before with g/f's and it wasn't so bad. My wife is a joy to be active with... if anything l'll have to curb my own desire to leave her on the groomers to practice while l rip up the mountain elsewhere.

Never heard of a Pure Boarding 2 Shrederjen. Do you have any details?

When I her "t" of trees, or "b" of bumps, I automatically go 10cm shorter and 2-3cm wider then the board I'd use for day-to-day carving... I have to stress again, she's 151 tall - riding a 156 would feel like a 185 GS board feels to an average size guy... If Scooby still had that Oxy 148, rather go for that. It's still a great carving board, but better sized for what you wanted to do.

Yeah, wide feet are bummer, mine are somewhat wide too. Upsizing is never a too great of an idea, though. Langes are one of the narrower shells, so that wasn't a great choice for starters. She should be in Nordica, Head or oldar shape Dalbellos for skiing...

Propper way would be to still get the right length shell and then use few tricks to make the foot fit. Here are the options:

- Thermo moldable liners (or foam injected if you ready to spend mega bucks);

- Propper foot bed to stop the arch from collapsing and widening the foot. Sometimes adding ANOTHER cheap insole under the propper footbead can help - it lifts entire foot in the wider portion of the shell. It can work only if her instep is not too high.

- Heat punch the boots. It is better that a pro bootfitter do it.

If you wish to try my boots, I'd be happy to take them back if no good. As loong as there were no moddifications/thermo fitting/riding done. You'll have to cover the shipping both ways, though...

Another idea is to go to a ski shop and try the shells of the Dalbello Kryptons. They are based on the old Raichle Flexons and most of the SB Raichle/Deeluxe series comes from the same shape. Try ONLY the shell with foot bed in, WITHOUT the liners, first. If there are no serious pressure points of plastic to foot, it should be doable.

Yeah l know she should have been in a wider shell... however even when she was racing she couldn't get into her Nordicas without work. The Langes are bang on now with a great custom foot bed and punched out by the pros at Silver Star. She tells me that she was never able to get into a 23.5 ski boot.

Good advice re: test fitting the old Flexon. We can find them around here so l'll take her to our local ski shop and try a shell fit. lf it seems OK we'll have a go at your Raichles (^_^)

When l did my Level ll in '98 l asked if l could do it in hard boots. The examiner's eyebrows crept up his forehead in such a way as to say "shall l just fail you now?" Things must have changed since then!

Nice one Scooby, thanks! PM sent. Don't know how to enable my email yet...

That is the opposite of my experience. I did my Level II in 97 in softboots and EVERYONE else was on hard boots except 2 of us. Even both examiners were on plates.

I might get flamed for this, but look at these too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dalbello-ZS6-Womens-Snow-Ski-Boots-24-5-NEW-/110480596839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b9281f67

http://cgi.ebay.com/DALBELLO-CX-3-Kids-Youth-Junior-Ski-Boots-5-US-23-5-CM-/390248894693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adca590e5

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dalbello-Visio-7-5-Ski-Boots-Mondo-23-0-US-5-5-UK-4-/110601220971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c058b36b

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dalbello-CRX-Impulse-Ladies-Ski-Boots-23-0-sz-5-/120528957722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1015f11a

Those all share the shell design with Head Stratos. Some models have the lean adjuster, which is beneficial. Older models (Carvex) have external lean adjuster and BTS can beinstaled (with lots of routing, though).

Obvious advantage is that she'd be able to change between skis and board without changing the boots.

im selling a 164 burton alp which may not be to bad for her.

It would be just as good for her as a 195 for me as a daily ride, or God forbid, a tree ride...

People, read the posts, she's 151cm tall, 100lbs.

Nothing against your Alp, though.

It would be just as good for her as a 195 for me as a daily ride, or God forbid, a tree ride...

People, read the posts, she's 151cm tall, 100lbs.

Nothing against your Alp, though.

Nope completely understand. I was kinda thinking that the whole time also. but it definitely puts it into better perspective when you say she's only 151 cm tall :smashfrea probably better off with a board in the 140's then, like that FP in the classifieds.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

l think l am getting closer. Mr. Scooby has a 147cm Oxygen Proton that has never been ridden which he is prepared to let go for a reasonable amount of beer tokens. My only concern with this board is that it may be really hard work in soft or deep snow.

Mr. Scooby also has that Cobble and that eDeck available which are both around the 155cm mark.

The resorts we spend our time at are usually blessed with heaps of snow. There are great groomed runs but as skiers we avoid them as much as possible because they are booorrriing. We are always in the trees looking for pow.

As boarders obviously we'll have to start on the groomers for her but l am hopeful that within the first season she'll be looking longingly at our favorite tree runs while being strapped into her snowboard.

l know, l know.... one board is a compromise either one way or another but again, from personal experience l was really happy on my 166 CON everywhere. l tried a Burton Factory Prime 174(?) and yeah it carved great but it sure wasn't very versatile.

Soooo.... we have a 147 Proton, a 155 Cobble and a 156(?) eDeck in the running. l am quite sure that she will progress VERY fast... she's an athlete after all. There's also that Proton in a 156 l think. Mr. Scooby seems to have a massive selection....LOL!

Knowing her, she'd be more likely to choose dealing with the difficulties at the beginning to get the rewards at the end re: longer board. l just want whatever board she gets to be able to do everything as well as possible. l'm going to be riding a 4WD exclusively and hoping to introduce her to powder riding as soon as she is comfortable. From what l have read about the 4WD it is right up there with the freecarvers in terms of digging trenches.... and has almost the same dimensions as my old CON.

Just noticed that there's a 159 4WD on eBay too. 154 is probably the best bet, though....