Note to New Members ×

Sidewinder bindings and a plate

snowboardfast

Will riding sidewinders with a plate be way way better than just sidewinders or not? I feel that the sidewinders are making a big difference especially on my old Nidecker 183 tornado gs. They took the harsh ride quality out when the hill gets chopped up. I was able to ride all day on peak 10 at Breckenridge in April because of those bindings even when it was choppy. I wasn't carving perfect turns all the time but it was comfortable to ride in the chop and bumpy snow and I could just keep riding and riding. I suppose I would have to demo a plate to find out?

Will riding sidewinders with a plate be way way better than just sidewinders or not?

Pretty hard to quantify "way, way better" , it is subjective and dependent on

too many variables to give you a definitive answer. That said.

Yes.

Although the effect is much different than that of the SW bindings.

The largest of the many variables is you.

Redundant to a point. The difference between a plate and no plate is probably very similar to TD'2 vs Sidewinders. The isolation from the board arcing and the absorption of shock on the front leg are the most profound differences that you notice.The resulting relief from fatigue is the most profound benefit. But the greatest result is that the board can carve better than you could ever believe possible, you just have to get your head around the idea of trusting the board more than you trust yourself.If plates take off Fin better be ready to pump out a bunch of Td2's because thats all you are going to need if you ride plates.I think this might increase the price of old Td2's , better snap up any available.

Redundant to a point. The difference between a plate and no plate is probably very similar to TD'2 vs Sidewinders. The isolation from the board arcing and the absorption of shock on the front leg are the most profound differences that you notice.The resulting relief from fatigue is the most profound benefit. But the greatest result is that the board can carve better than you could ever believe possible, you just have to get your head around the idea of trusting the board more than you trust yourself.If plates take off Fin better be ready to pump out a bunch of Td2's because thats all you are going to need if you ride plates.I think this might increase the price of old Td2's , better snap up any available.

Why are top racers continuing to ride the more absorbing, softer flexing F2 bindings on top of plates? The benefit of added flex in a binding is more than just absorbing terrain imperfections. It has the huge benefit of allowing improved leg motion for most riders. Seems like the SWs will continue to provide that benefit, even on top of plates.

Of course I asked last season about the side winder binding being way way better for all mountain riding and after demoing it I thought so. The plate I think might be too heavy and not be much of a benefit if you are cranking small radius turns on steep un groomed terrain and softer snow. I might demo a plate anyway just to see if it will work better for me? Maybe a plate would be better because your stance stays the same and would allow you to have more balance and control in uneven snow conditions? I am interested in the Donek plate for now as it is more affordable at 380.00 and the other plates are more money. Also the Donek plate will work with 4X4 which is good because I don't own a board with UPM right now. Yet another reason why it is good to be an alpine snowboarder now because we have companies that are able and willing to keep making better products to help the sport be better and better.