Note to New Members ×

If anyone ever tells you stripping bottom paint is no big deal..

powdahbonz

..tell them to pound sand. I feel like I just did 1,000 Military presses. Shoulders are on fire and after 8 hours of peelin' and stripping bottom paint from god-knows-how-old, still got plenty to do-christ..still have to do some gel coat repair, lay a couple coats of barrier coat and then anti-fouling.. Farg...bring on winter-the wax wizard will be pleasurable duty.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I feel your pain.

Sanding keelboats fully sucks; it is so much easier to have a trailerable, and just flip it upside down, so the work of pressure is done by gravity.

This was the new boat pulled out of the mould, as you can see doing stuff to it is pretty easy.

Mind you, the joy will be out on the water aye!

post-1403-141842323504_thumb.jpg

When I was a kid I had the pleasure of sanding and painting the bottom of my fathers boat every year (on the trailer), when I got my own boats I learned his trick and always found someone else to do it (working in a marina it was easy to convince the yard guys to do mine when they painted the other). For the last few years I've been taking care of a friends 70+ year old boat and remember why I like glass boats (for the lack of maintenance anyway).

animalsandstuff259.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post some pics but I will never do it again. Learned a great deal, repaired imperfections and feel good about the turnout. A few imperfections-now just hoping the chemical burns on my face will not scar. Even with coverage, that paint will find a way in...not good on skin. That wooden looks like it must have been a bitch-woulda been on the phone with a soda blaster right away