Note to New Members ×

Ottawa pre-season!

Ian M

Hey everyone,

Wanna talk seasons passes? Who's thinking of buying where?

I was thinking about Mont Cascades, so i went and hiked around this afternoon. There is one sweet slope under a quad that is wide, steep, and kind of roll-y :eplus2:, but all the other trails look a little tame or very narrow. I'd love to hit this a few times during the season, but am not sure about buying a night pass.

Vorlage was very good last season; always very quiet, and consistently good snow and grooming. That says a lot considering the pathetic amount of natural snow. I was really craving something steeper by the end of the season, though.

So, where is everyone else at? Any new purchases? I'm ordering a new Donek in a few weeks; similar to the one that I rode at ECES last season - Metal freecarve, 13-15m variable sidecut, 183cm... :eek: (I rode 185cm 12-16m) This is replacing my old Burton that I like to ride in soft conditions, so I want it fairly stiff.

Cheers :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are enough of us to really get the most of the $99 passes. You really can't go wrong there, and it doesn't stop us making field trips to a few other hills.

For me the point of a night pass is consistency not adventures, although with you boys, it usually is anyway. After a full day at a desk job, just shutting off and riding without epic is a nice way to decompress.

How many more days till we can be out there again? I miss our Tuesday nights.

I found Vorlage to be quite icy and very narrow on our trip last year, so I'll be sticking to Cascades. I'll make it out to Vorlage here and there to ride with you guys.

Bummer... maybe you hit a bad night. I remember one icy night during all the times we rode there. (Not counting that spring night... shudder...)

That wide slope as Cascades has my name written all over it. I'll come out and join you a few times this season! Hey Keyser Soze, is there a cheap night pass at Cascades? I didn't see it on the website. Something in the 100$ range...

My riding this season will likely consist of 2 nights every other week. Its going to be difficult with my wifes new schedule and going back to school. We will have to see how things play out. Even day trips will be impacted as her only day shift is now 9-5, which will make it difficult picking up 2 kids and getting. I may actually end up riding more weekends unfortunately. :mad:

Chris, we will still love you - even if you can only come and play every second night. But I might get good and try and kick your butt! :AR15firin

But weekends rock too - we should try and get some adventures planned. Calabogie is close and not as crowded as parts of the Gatineau's. Are you willing to go there after what happened in 2009? And there are always day-trips to Mt. Blanc ... oh; road-trip!

Vorlage has a $99.00 night pass deal, but you have to be two or more people. I will be buying them this weekend, I currently have Ian, Billy and I as down. If you are interested, please let me know ASAP so that I can include you in our group purchase.

Note that a single night-pass is $109.00

Dreaming of snow

Hey Keyser Soze, is there a cheap night pass at Cascades? I didn't see it on the website. Something in the 100$ range...

Last year, they had this pass:

GANG-UP TO ROCK THE MOUNTAIN

Valid 7 nights and weekdays all season, including Christmas and March Break*

<SMALL style="FONT-STYLE: italic"><SMALL>*Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.</SMALL></SMALL>

$79 per person with a group of 8 people or more.

$89 per person with a group of 4 to 7 people.

$99 per person with a group of 2 or 3 people.

$109 for one person

But you're right, they haven't posted anything similar for this season yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew, Welcome to Ottawa!

How many more days till we can hit the hills? Probably too many! Yesterday I was on the bus watching the ocean go by after two fantastic scuba dives and all I could think about was snow! What is wrong with me?

Looking forward to carving it up with everyone soon.

PS; we should do pre-season drinks when I get back to plot Tremblant and a State-side trip. Billy said he would organise it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, that's actually a cap of Jasey-Jay's board mid-carve. Only the Canadian national team have those flags on the base. Maybe some of the boards Kimi sold in the Classifieds have them.

I picked up my '09 SG last season, and I'm VERY happy with it. I came across good deals for some F2s and a pair of Kryptons over the summer, so I'll be getting used to change for the first couple of months.

^ Cool! How would you describe the ride of the SG? I've never been on one.

Yah, change is good and bad. Often in the short-term it throws you off, but eventually you end up much better off. That was me a while ago with new boots/bindings/board. Wait... maybe that's still me :P

• 3 weeks later...

Why ski boots, though? Curious.

Do you find the SG hard to freeride on? I mean, does it have a tendency to accelerate you a lot out of turns? Last year was my first season on a freeride board, and boy, does it ever suit my riding style better. I've only seen you ride once though, and don't know if you actually race.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

3 more sleeps 'till Calabogie opens on Saturday! :biggthump I'm going to head out and meet some more of the other instructors. Most of the other local hills seem to be opening this weekend too. I'm guessing the trail count will be fairly limited, but seven months is long enough to wait I think.

Does anyone else ever wonder if they'll remember how to carve? This creeps me out every year, right up to first successful turn...

Looking forward to riding with you guys soon!

^ Cool :) Any other hills around here that you like?

I've ridden only at Fortune, Edelweiss, and Calabogie (and Tremblant). My wife's pregnant right now so I have a bit more flexibility to go carving this winter (she rides in soft boots).

How long before Vorlage opens up? Hope I made the right decision getting a pass there... :)

Looking for recommendations on the best place or person to take my board to get a tune-up in the Ottawa area - thanks in advance.

Hi mikel45! Where do you like to ride around here? Would you like to meet up sometime to ride?

Two places I've had good experiences with are Dinardo's in Bell's Corners, and the Kunstadt on Bank street in the glebe. Frank is the owner at Dinardo's, and does impeccable hand-tunes. Highly recommended. (Great boot-fitter, too) The tech I've dealt with mostly that the glebe Kunstadt has very large glasses and wears hawaiian shirts, his name escapes me at the moment but you can't miss him. He did base grinds and side edges on both my boards last season and they were great. He even did a 0deg base bevel on my Coiler, which is a hassle for him.

Cheers!