Note to New Members ×

Ottawa pre-season!

Ian M

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - while only one run was open at Edelweiss - it was a perfect start to the season. Hard base with a forgiving top (for when I bailed). The weather wasn't cold either.

Bumped into RocketMan while I was there and gave him the heads-up about meeting up with us over the winter. He has some great tips for newbies! (Thanks!)

Thanks for the link - I will give it a shot this weekend and see how I do.

RocketMan rides near Barrie, but work will be bringing him to the valley sometimes, so I told him about the thread and hopefully he will post when he is in town so we will have another person to ride with.

Anyone else planning on riding this weekend or next week after work?

So, what do you call a tiny hill with 4 hard-boot carvers? Mt. Pakenham :D

Went out to ride with Ryan (Hilux), and finally met Paul and Phil. Very nice guys, hot riders! Another fellow named Neil said hello when he saw our gear; apparently he just moved to the Ottawa area from out east... used to ride Marble Mountain, Chris's old stomping ground. He was on softies today and rides hard-boots also. I asked if he was on here, and he is, so hopefully he'll stop by and introduce himself further!

While 'Mt. P' is a little on the short side, it does have two good runs that are quite wide. It's a great place to try new technique, and might be complimented by the steeper wide run at Mt. Cascades.

I'm sure everyone will be thrilled to hear also that my soft-boot carving is coming along quite well...lol :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Ian

Hey everyone,

I managed to upgrade to my "new" F2's onto my Coiler and I am now convinced that the board is the sexiest thing I own (is this wrong?). I have two issues:

• I am very new to this sport and don't trust myself with things technical. I set them up exactly how the old bindings were, and read through the article cited above. All the hardwear is tight there is no boot overhang (although with tiny feet, this isn't hard). Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any usual pit-falls and common mistakes that newbies make when mounting bindings? Is anyone willing to take a look?
  • I have cants for these bindings, but have no idea how to install them. I am going to give this set-up a try sans-cants, but would love to try after Christmas. Would anyone be able to help?

I will bring a screwdriver with me to the hill this week - just in case!

Happy carving and I am looking forward to meeting many of you. If I had have known a group would be at Mt. P. I would have swung by; next time. Will you be there Jan 1st?

- best days are monday & tuesday evening

- need at least a week heads up to schedule us in

- cost $40

(includes how-to lesson and you also walk out with your board tuned)

2 people interested, need a 3rd, anyone else interested?

If we can co-ordinate such that its a week my wife isn't working evenings I would be interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I have been lurking on the message board for some time now :sleep: so I figured I should create an account and join the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=<ST1:pOttawa</ST1:p</st1:City> conversation.

<O:p</O:p

I live in <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pOrleans</ST1:p</st1:City> so I rarely get out to Packenham and Calabogie. However, I ride at <ST1:p<st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Camp</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Fortune</st1:PlaceName> almost every Saturday and escape to Mt Tremblant as often as I can. I spent the last three days there and will be back next Sunday. If anyone would like to join me for some big turns on the big mountain, drop me a line. I always like to share some trenches with another carver.

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for posting and saying hi. We're pretty lucky to have a fair number of carvers here, and it just keeps getting better!

Killer license plate, btw.

Many of us have a Tremblant ticket to use before the end of the season, but hopefully we can ride sometime sooner. How do you find Fortune on Saturdays? Isn't it rather packed?

Cheers!

Hi Brian! Great to hear from another rider. Not sure if you have already read but several of us have evening passes for Vorlage and hope to ride there as much as possible. Unfortunately that will be sporadic for me but I hope to make the best of the weeks I have.

As Ian mentioned we do hope to get out to Tremblant a few times this season and make the most of what we have. Last season didn't end for me on a high note with breaking a binding there so I hope to turn it around!

Not sure if you have already read but several of us have evening passes for Vorlage and hope to ride there as much as possible.

As Ian mentioned we do hope to get out to Tremblant a few times this season and make the most of what we have. Last season didn't end for me on a high note with breaking a binding there so I hope to turn it around!

Yes, I read about your collective enthusiasm for Vorlage. Unfortunately, of the four Gatineau hills, that happens to be my last favourite. I occasionally drive to Mt Ste Marie (1 hr 15 mins from Orleans), however since I can be at MT in under two hours, that resort wins out pretty much every time I get away from CF.

BTW, here is the hot tip I overheard at MT over the past WE; they are allowing riders to buy TWO T-packs. A T-pack is essentially two tix at half-price so I highly recommend visiting MT's website and ordering one or two T-Packs if you wanna ride MT on the cheap.

Another option (for next season) is to join either of the two big ski clubs in town which sell preseason tix at ~$50 each. I picked up six at $51 each in Nov, for example.

Brian, do you have any time to free-ride before teaching on Saturdays, if I come out to CF some week?

You bet! My mantra is that "the first hour of the day is the best hour of the day!"

I have "reserved" 8:30 - 9:30 for personal training when the runs are freshly groomed and few people are on the slopes. Traffic also thins out dramatically at 3:30, but by that time the runs are well chewed up and the boilerplate factor sets in (on all the local hills that have night riding). If only the Gatineau resorts would groom at dusk prior to night openings - like Mt-Ste-Anne does! ...which is where I am headed for the first full week in Febuary (4-11). If anyone is interested, I could play tour guide at that resort too since I know it as least as well at MT.

Getting back on topic, I occasionally get to CF on Sundays as well. Give me a shout if you are in the neighbourhood.

Looking for recommendations on the best place or person to take my board to get a tune-up in the Ottawa area - thanks in advance.

Mike,

Like Ian, I do my own tuning in my basement and am always willing to share my knowledge and experience with anyone who is interested. Price of admission is a six-pack of my choice (which is typically shared :)). You get your board tuned, plus you get to see what you need if you are interested in doing your own maintenance. I get some company while tuning which rates only slight more exciting than watching grass grow.

If you are looking for recommendations in town, the last time I checked a couple of years ago, Kunstadt (the Kanata location) had the best machine in Ottawa, a fairly new Wintersteiger machine. I believe they also have an older model at the Bank St location. I know the tuner there and he gave me the rundown on the options available on the Wintersteiger - very impressive technology! - if you are prepared to pay $50 for a full tune-up.

-Brian

You bet! My mantra is that "the first hour of the day is the best hour of the day!"

Cool! I'll try to come out to CF some Saturday morning, unless you are able to make Sugarloaf and/or Carve-fest :)

(See 2011 Ride Thread for evolution of Carve-fest and link to poll)

Cool! I'll try to come out to CF some Saturday morning, unless you are able to make Sugarloaf and/or Carve-fest :)

(See 2011 Ride Thread for evolution of Carve-fest and link to poll)

Hi Ian (& anyone else listening :) ),

This Sat I will be standing in the Clifford chair lift line at 8:29 ready for first tracks (and every other Sat except 5 Feb).

As for Sugarloaf, can't make it, but I am up for a local carvefest whenever and wherever it happens.

-Brian

• 4 weeks later...