Note to New Members ×

Would this bite, or what?

Allee

Mt Shutt strikes again!

1000 skiers and boarders, including 300 schoolkids, stuck overnight on the Mt Hutt ski hill :

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4019798/Roaring-winds-strand-hundreds-on-Mt-Hutt-overnight

Now I know that there are a bunch on North Americans going "pffft, pack of pansies, I'd drive down in that". Said like people have never seen the Mt Hutt access road, which is justifiably famous as being one of the gnarliest, most vertigo inducing legal roads on the planet. One and a half cars wide in most places, twisty, rutted, and if you miss the corner, you're going 800+ feet straight down... like most NZ ski accesses, it winds up the mountain for the best part of 40 minutes from the road. So the only viable option was to close it, but being stuck on this hill ovenight would be, um, uncomfortable at best. That lodge is definitely not designed for 1000 sleeping people.:) And worst of all, the bar is shut! Although the damn Aussies would have drunk it dry by now anyway.:eplus2:

I hope they manage to get them off today. It's still not sounding good ...

Sounds like the weather is going to be the same as last year. They were doing pre Olympic stuff in just ridiculous weather last August. I was at Cardrona the first week of Sept, when the homeward run to the front was closed - but if you stood at the top of it, the wind would blow you backward, and it sounded like a jet taking off. And all the locals were saying how nice it was that the wind had finally died down!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm couldn't pull up the link (been having problems with that lately if anyone can figure out why) but i've BEEN on that road and it is so incredibly knarly!

When I was there we didn't have a car, so we decided to hitch up the mountain road each morning. There's plenty of cars going so that wasn't a problem. But after almost going off the road a few times, I decided to take the bus/shuttle that the resort has going to the top. After just one day on the bus, where we were sideways on that insane road, hitching was the lesser of the two. It's crazy, and not skiable (sorry KingCrimson). Between that road and the steepest road in Europe between Austria and Germany, I am not sure which is worse!