Note to New Members ×

Shipping from Australia question

heroshmero

I'm unfamiliar with shipping from Australia to the US but if the same policies exist as in the opposite direction, you could face challenges. I ship a lot of gear to Australia but it's mostly boots. Skis and boards exceed the length limit of 42 inches imposed by USPS. Ironically New Zealand will accept up to 60 inches but that's still too short for anything but kids gear. Some customers have opted to use UPS but it's very pricey.

I've only ever shipped the other way, but I think they all came USPS/AustPost and arrived just fine. The key is to declare them as used personal equipment, value less than $100, and make sure they are super well packed.

Thanks for the tips.

I looked at the auspost website and it looks like I have some options for shipping. Do you have any experience with the Air Mail or Sea Mail options? I'd be wiling to send Sea Mail because I don't need the board any time soon. Anything I need to worry about with that?

Why is it important to declare the value as less than $100?

Looks like auspost doesn't want to ship a snowboard sized package out of Australia but they will deliver one sent into Australia by USPS.

Quotes I've generated from UPS and DHL are over $400 AUD ($350 USD)! That seems crazy expensive. Any other ideas as to how I can send a snowboard from Australia to USA without breaking the bank?

Never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything.

Sorry, I also forgot about the $100 question. I just got told by a friend who worked in quarantine and customs here that you should call everything used personal equipment and less than $100 because then they are less likely to bother inspecting it. If they do, you get charged inspection fees, plus it delays delivery. Also if you claim it is new and/or worth considerably more, you may get import duties imposed.