Note to New Members ×

NESRA Notice of Skateboard Race - Burlington, VT 5/15/2010

wavechaser

Announcing the launch of the Northeast Skateboard Racing Association (NESRA).

We have a website at www.sk8racing.com for more info.

There is a sign-up on the NCDSA site here: http://67.139.161.195/contest_registration.asp?ContestID=460

We will be holding a series of skateboard racing events around the Northeast United States and possibly in Canada, this spring, summer and fall.

Right now the venues include Burlington, VT, Antrim, NH and Holyoke, MA, but we hope to add at least one or two more races if possible. Contact us at info@cloudtenweb.com if you think you have a good race venue and want to see about us helping you host a race in our series.

The Burlington, Vermont race is scheduled for Saturday, May 15th, with a rain date of Sunday May 16th. Registration is from 9:30AM - 10AM, racer's meeting at 10:15, GS practice at 10:30. This is an "outlaw" race so there is a bust factor - for that reason, you must contact us at info@cloudtenweb.com for more info and directions to the event venue. Disciplines will be Giant Slalom, Super-Giant Slalom and a Sport Downhill.

All races will be single-lane, electronically timed, with each racer getting three runs per discipline. The course is 900 feet long. The GS course has 40 cones, the Super-G 20 cones, and the Downhill will use "cone features" to make extra turns in what is already an "S" shaped road. All races will use the Green Mountain Bomb Squad 5-foot high start ramp - with a transition suitable for even the lowest and longest of Downhill boards. The race road is fairly steep in the middle, with top speeds in the Downhill expected to be about 40mph, about 35 for the Super-G and 30 for the GS. There is a beautiful runout around a roundhouse right turn and up an incline - no foot braking required. A "B" push-start (all races) will be available for those who find the ramp and entire hill too daunting, or you can push-start from the top if you choose. Classes will be Open A and B

only, with trophies for the top three places in each.

There will be a season points series. To qualify for the points series, you must contribute a minimum $5 donation at each event - all these funds go to the event organizer's choice of charity. You must also attend 2 of the 3 currently scheduled events (or 2 of 4, or 3 of 5 if we hold more races) with each racer's four highest finishes, no matter which discipline the finishes are in, counting towards a season championship and prizes. Stay tuned for more info on this!

If you have never raced a skateboard before, come see what it is all about. You will have world-ranked skateboard racers to talk to about equipment, techniques and where other races are being held.

The mimimum $5 donations we gather at the Burlington race will to go to the Downhillbillie's own Mr. Marion Karr's "Surf 2 the Surf" skateboard push-trip across North Carolina this coming summer, to raise awareness of brain injury victims and to benefit "Hinds Feet Farm", an organization that provides "Unique and Innovative Programs for Adults with Traumatic and Acquired Brain Injuries and Their Families".

Ok, let's ROCK!

-Rick

burlington_bomb.jpg

I'd love to, but the thought to actually racing scares the crap out of me. I'll try to make it to one to watch and take pictures though. Sounds like a good day in the sun if nothing else!

I'd be willing to bet that once you see this, you'll try it if you skate at all. You don't need to start with a crazy course. It can be big cone spacing on nearly flat ground to start. Yeah, the GS/SG/DH here in VT would be a little much at first - exciting to watch, but no space for a mellower course for people to try. The Antrim and Holyoke races will be more likely to have a "clinic" on the side - an easier practice course. You'd learn more than you ever dreamed about skateboards and racing, that much is guaranteed. :-)

-RF

I'll definitely check out the race in Antrim - any excuse to get out in the middle of nowhere works for me!

Cool - just note that the date on the sk8racing.com website for the Antrim race is still tentative. I'll post a new thread here when we have it nailed down.

-R

Yeah woodland hills, CA

Anywhere in the San Fernando Valley would work for that matter.

I'm on silverfish too if that makes any difference

The first thing I'd do is email Richy and Maria Carrasco thru www.sk8kings.com - they are in SD but pretty much drive the Southern Cal (if not US) slalom scene. They've held races in Poway, JPL in Pasadena and Long Beach. They will totally hook you up - great people too!

There is a bit more speed oriented scene in the SLO/Central Coast area.

Of course, there are sk8ers everywhere in LA...just trying to hook you with ones I know. Put out the word on the 'fish and I'm sure you'll get responses.

I sent out a few emails to specific people too - will fwd to you if they are up for helping out.

-RF

Yeah woodland hills, CA

Anywhere in the San Fernando Valley would work for that matter.

I'm on silverfish too if that makes any difference

Just emailed you contact info for my buddy Brian P. in LA - he's off racing now but will be back in 3 weeks. Cool dude and way fast...one of the young guns.

Friday 5/14/2010 at 3:00PM

Right now we are still on for The Burlington Bomb, Saturday 5/15 as planned. The forecast is for only a 30% chance of rain until noon and then sun. Looks like a nice 15+ knot tailwind too! The courses are set and painted in, so any rain will not delay setting or re-setting. We will make a final call on the weather tonight by 8PM, and post it here and on the Burlington Bomb page on www.sk8racing.com .

Reminder that this is a BYOEverything race - we will have a few 2-gallon jugs of water, but there is no food provided, and no restroom facilities. We will have TP for those who wish to brave the woods, of which there are plenty just behind the start area. There are public restrooms and gas/stores about a mile away. We may decide to park some cars in a public lot a mile away and shuttle you in - be prepared.

Looking forward to racing and hanging out with everyone!!

Stoke-meter is pinned!

-RF

I am packing up and on the way. See you in a few hours. I am picking up Schwippy.

Thanks Glenn - glad to have you Schwip up here today. I'm pumped that we have a series going again, even if it was a smaller crowd to start. Plenty of skating and very little standing around though...good times.

-R