Note to New Members ×

Check out this great vintage video

slopetool

As you all know, you "are all a bunch of smart allecks"

My good friend, Bob Lee sent me this. so all the credit goes to him. I love it!

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/exploits/topics/1727-11917/

Enjoy! I even saw some kids carrying their boards with vintage plate bindings. So this is also so much more relevant. Look for them toward the end.

HA ha...!!! LOVED that video. Priceless!!!

"Smart Alecs"!!! Little did they know then that snowboarding would soon become a multi-billion dollar sport.

Some things haven't changed, though...young boarder park groms will STILL swear at you and give you the finger, etc etc. But that is less a facet of freestyle boarding than it is simply being a teenager. I think I would be totally MYSTIFIED if the park and pipes suddenly took on the decorum of 55 year-old skiers...and I guess a little bit chagrined, as well.

I think I would love get on my Sorels and take an old Snurfer or Burton Backyard (including rope) down a trail!!:1luvu: Although I don't think they would even allow them on a lift.

Gravity IS Life.

"...they're endangering the public and possibly themselves..." :lol:

Man, we are a bunch of hoodlums!

It's funny to me that "confrontation" between skiers and snowboarders was thought of as an issue. At Hoodoo, where I ride a lot, they embrace many kinds of downhill travel. In addition to the skiers, ski boarders, and snowboarders they are very open to ski bikes and ski trikes as well as a host of adaptive skiers like blind skiers and sit skiers. The blind skiers are assisted and some of the sit skiers are assisted. Then there are some independent sit skiers that are incredible. They are hard chargers and don't need assistance at all.

I know I haven't been out there as long as some of you but when I started snowboarding in the early 90's there was a fair amount of disdain that skiers showed towards me. I love the fact that now I can go to a place like Hoodoo where people are simply out there to have fun. I can't remember the last time anybody said anything nasty about another group. Even the rough looking ski bikers with their converted full suspension mountain bikes are cool. I've never seen a conflict that was a result of "you have different equipment than me".

Aside from the marketing crap that the big manufacturers try and sell us on alpine being better than boarding or tele or the other way around or whatever, I'm so glad we are moving on and learning to work together on the ski hill.

I'm glad you guys like it. I started riding in 84' and this really brings back memories. Timberline was the most open to us riding. Ski Bowl and Mt. Hood Meadows not so much. But look at where it all went after the high back bindings were improved. actually the whole board design.

It is a keeper.