Note to New Members ×

Donek Saber: Anyone ride it? (P2)

grock5

I was just curious: has anyone bought and/or ridden a Donek Saber this past season.

I know that there was a thread regarding this topic back in November, (http://bit.ly/dCTNbS) but I was wondering if anyone has any up to date feedback on the Saber.

Thanks!

snowcoach on this forum is the one to ask http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=351 that should give you a email form for him.

Buddy of mine bought an early-season 165cm model that snowcoach was selling; had been one of his riders' boards I think (but not really used). I spent a half-day on it. Had a 26 waist, which was nice for BX-angle softboot freecarving. A little more damp than my normal softboot ride - 164 Rad Air Reto Lamm - which I'd assume is because of the rubber, and more effective edge of course. It was a more comfortable ride in chop, which you'd expect out of a newer-gen BX board. If you want to carve on a freeride board, you can definitely go to town with the Sabre.

On the other hand it was a fairly heavy board. The Reto Lamm is quite light as it is, and the difference was noticeable - I couldn't throw around the Sabre as easily. On one run when I tried exploring a closed-off section I got stuck on a terrible area with packed powder/ice moguls combination, and it was surprising how tired my legs got trying to ram through it. It was also definitely less forgiving than my Reto Lamm, which is itself a board that some people describe as fairly stiff for a freeride board. (On the other hand the board was built for a pro rider who was 25 pounds heavier than me, so that could have something to do with that aspect of it.)

And my friend really had to move his bindings as far back as possible when we got some fresh - and this is east-coast stuff, 15cm of heavier pow - because it doesn't float as well as his old Burton Canyon.

So yeah, you might want to talk to Sean. I think he said somewhere that he's refined them over this season, so he might be able to address any concerns you have.

greg

Bob: Thanks for the link! I was posting to see how the Saber rode from a recreational rider's perspective.

Greg: Thanks for the input! I read the earlier posts, and just wanted to see if anyone had taken delivery and had a chance to ride the Sabers in production. I appreciate the comparison with the Reto, as that was my soft boot carver, until I sold it last week. (And I actually sold all of my boards, so I'm boardless until the Coiler gets delivered! :biggthump)

I'll definitely contact Sean when I get my finances in order to see if the Saber would be a good fit, or if he can do an Incline with a de-cambered nose & tail!

Cheers!