Note to New Members ×

Schoolme on slalom...

tex1230

Gecko keeps telling me that since I'm moving to the lone star state, I need to hook up with some slalom guys......

My skateboard quiver is a single board - Gravity 47" Hypercarve

will that get me started or is it simply the wrong tool?

Do they go GS on skateboards?

I was a pool/ramp skater a long long time ago, but I have just used this board for mellow turns on not-too steep hills...not sure I'm ready for high speeds, and I know I'm not ready for high speed crashes!

(oh - what safety gear do I need?)

Gecko keeps telling me that since I'm moving to the lone star state, I need to hook up with some slalom guys......

My skateboard quiver is a single board - Gravity 47" Hypercarve

will that get me started or is it simply the wrong tool?

Do they go GS on skateboards?

I was a pool/ramp skater a long long time ago, but I have just used this board for mellow turns on not-too steep hills...not sure I'm ready for high speeds, and I know I'm not ready for high speed crashes!

(oh - what safety gear do I need?)

I'm sure that Rick will chime in but I'll throw in my $00.02

yes they do GS on skateboards they also do tight and hybrid slalom True cone geeks live for tight slalom but Hybrid feels the most like snowboarding to me. the Hypercarve is a nice board but the wheelbase is too long, sk8kings is the place to go for beginner (and advanced) slalom gear, there are other affordable boards but the folks there are really good about setting up new wigglers.

Safety gear HELMET and kneepads are a must some folks wear elbow pads and some don't I should probably wear mine more often but for some reason I only sem to wear mine when it's really warm (which thankfully is also when I seem to needs them) Glove/wristguards, there are two diverging schools of thought here I wear slide gloves to that when I can fal I can put my hands down and control my stopping. many people believe that they need to protect their wrist when they fall. It really depends on how you fall and what you are comfortable with.

the Best Helmet is the one that fits so comfortably that you will always wear it though the Ian Tilmann is giving out helmets for the cost of shipping.

Pads....I have skated the expensive and the cheap....I love my expensive Pro Designed pads with their Dalmatian print but 187 Pro's are by far the best for the money, not to mention just as comfortable for all but but the biggest slams (guys who ride Mega ramp use these pads)

my local training spot isn't a fast hill it's just a parking lot with a gradual slope, all the speed we get comes from pumping turns....Anyone who has ridden a carving snowboard can turn a slalom skareboard through cones it's just not that hard and although the runs aren't as long the feeling of making a clean run gives you just as much stoke

Allrighty then…

Time for my schpeil on the slalom skating thing….

As Gecko mentioned, your hypercarve probably isn’t the best setup for slaloming.

In Slalom Skateboarding there are usually 3 disciplines:

Tight Slalom (TS): Cone spacing 5 - 6 feet. TS boards are usually around 31” long, with wheelbase options from 18” – 20”.

Hybrid Slalom (HS): Cone spacing 6 - 9 feet. TS boards are usually around 33” long, with wheelbase options from 20” – 22”.

Giant Slalom (GS): Cone spacing 7 - 15 feet. TS boards are usually around 35” long, with wheelbase options from 22” – 24”.

Super GS is run sometimes also. It’s just a next step up from regular GS. I know that top speeds on the GS course at last years World Championships were 25 – 30 MPH. Don’t know if you consider that “high speed”.

Slalom Skateboarding is the geeky side of skateboarding like Alpine Snowboarding is the geeky side of snowboarding. Folks who get into it usually have a quiver of multiple boards, multiple types of trucks, and piles of wheels in different sizes, hardness and shapes. If you eventually decide to purchase, I’d suggest getting a hybrid board, drilling some extra wheelbase options into it, and you’ll be able to run most courses on it with wheelbase and truck changes.

If you’re in TX and anywhere near Austin, check out the 2010 Texas Sizzler this weekend. I think Rick is planning on being there, and some guy named George Pappas is signed up, so there will be snowboarders, and plenty of other folks to talk shop with. The slalom community is a lot like the alpine community, so if you get a chance, go check it out…

post-114-141842309918_thumb.jpg

No snow in Atlanta

But I hit the neighborhood skatepark with my son and his friend. carved the bowls (pretty difficult on my longboard, but fun) - my body is bruised and muscles are sore but had a great time. carved the parking lot a bit too, pics coming soon.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm in the Hill country outside of San Antonio, closest town is Kerrville. I'm really out in the middle of nowhere, but if you know anyone nearby let me know.

Here is the word from Texas Outlaw Greg Stubbs - "One name is all you need in S.A. ... Carter Dennis."

Look up Stubbs on FB.

Still waiting for other responses.

-R

I'm in the Hill country outside of San Antonio, closest town is Kerrville. I'm really out in the middle of nowhere, but if you know anyone nearby let me know.

tex...from my friend Glenn Bukowsky....

"Rick, I will try & get him in touch with the Austin Texas Outlaws (about the closest to him) or you can have him contact me: gbukowsky at <at> <at>hotmail.com and I will forward. They've got some extra rides, so that's not a problem

See what I can do.

Vaya con Huevos,

Glenn"</at></at>