Note to New Members ×

Six Flags Magic Mountain LA

Allee

I know there's some Cali people here, so I'll ask ... has anyone been to Six Flags, and what gems of wisdom do you have to share? I'm contemplating going from Calgary for the May long weekend (fly in Sunday, spending Mon/Tue at the park and fly home Tue night).

Does anyone know the area and can give advice about the airports, and getting shuttles to and from? The cheapest flights go into LAX or Orange County, and I know that Burbank is the closest airport to the park - but what's it like getting to the Valencia area from the others?

Any advice appreciated!

MM is good for thrill rides themselves, but the overall quality of the place has gone down quite a bit in the last few years. They seem to attract a questionable crowd as well for some reason. I am not sure you would need two days there either, and I don't think I would make an entire trip out of just visiting Magic Mountain, unless you're a huge roller coaster fan. You do have mid-week going for you to keep the lines down.

If you're set on going there, Burbank would be your best bet, but the highest number of flights would be to LAX. Depending on what time you're trying to make the drive, LAX to Valencia is anywhere from 35 minutes to two hours. Any time between 3pm and 8pm, it'll be well over an hour. It would be a little better from Burbank, perhaps a solid hour in traffic. From SNA (Orange County), add at least an additional hour to your drive. On the off chance you can fly into LGB (Long Beach), that is about 20-30 minutes additional on top of LAX's drive time.

You mentioned shuttles to the park. I am not sure there are many public transportation options between the airports and MM. You're best off renting a car anyway. There is very little you can do in LA without a car.

• 4 weeks later...

We drove down last May long. My advice is to get a seasons pass and the line jumper option (or whatever it is called).

This will save you hours in the lines. The seasons pass was the same price as 2 days admission.

Saturday was ridiculous, but it was dead on Sunday.

Vancouver to Six Flags and back in 4 days. 21 hrs driving each way!