Note to New Members ×

questions on risers and plates

sxybst90

Some will say, "they can't hurt", others will say, "they will affect the performance of the board". Personally I would ask Sean (at Donek) his recommendation. I believe most of the issues were with Metal Topsheet Boards depending on what type bindings were being used. Many were using 3/16" to 1/4" Polycarbonate to make their own. A 'search' will probably provide a pattern for you if you want to make your own. They are also commercially available, I know Catek had them available.

Hope that helps.

I just made 3 pairs out of Polycarbonate for my boards and none of them are metal , in the past i have broken all my other boards (at least 4)at the point where the toe side front binding makes contact with the board when the board bends,i hope that they will give me extra board protection and a little stiffness too because except for my carbon board the other 2 are a little bit soft!

Tomorrow i will try them out for the first time!

13032010263.jpg

thanks! i guess like you said asking sean would be the best bet. and how does it hurt the performance if it were to? is it because it doesn't let the board flex as much as it should?

I just got a Donek metal Skwal. Per his recommendations I put some cut down Catek plates (3/16" polycarbonate) on it. I'm running OS 2'S. I feel that it increased the stiffness some but I feel it gave the board more "pop" in the transitions.

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

Made from clear poly and here's the template

http://www.catek.com/resources/FRS_RS_dimensions.pdf

I should also have longer screws to get with these plates.

Let me know when you will be in the area.

hmm i am gonna have to see.. since i am out in the kalamazoo for school.

i heard that mt. holly might be open for the last time next weekend and if they are i'll def let you know when i'll be around the area!

Thanks!!!:biggthump

Just tried mine out today and it was like i was riding a different board,yes it increased the stiffness allot and after the first run i got used to the different feeling but it gave me a big dilemma because today i rode 2 clicks faster than i normally ride the last 2 seasons (45year bad knees from basketball and skiing-snowboarding!)and i don't know if i want to ride mach speed carving again (something like junkies that get into drugs again after rehab!)

The only problem was that i had to tighten the screws 2 times.should i put something like vibra-tite on them?

I'm even thinking of making carbon or some kind of metal risers now! (if anyone could recommend what type of metal or aluminium would do ?)

If you liked the difference the spacer made, you may want to try a thicker Polycarbonate? I believe you want something that flex's and returns with the board, which the Polycarbonate will do.

I've used 1/8" & 3/16" when I didn't really want to change the boards ride characteristics (just protect the Titanal Topsheet) and 1/4" when I wanted to try making the board ride stiffer.

'Try experimenting with different thickness' :) Polycarbonate is easy enough to work with and inexpensive.

valsam, 4mm=.1575 inches, slightly thinner than 3/16" which=.1875 inches.

1/4" (.250 inches) = approximately 6.35mm, so I would guess that it is available in 6mm (and thicker), you just have to find where it is available in your area. Good Luck..........:biggthump