Note to New Members ×

Why does everyone want damp boards?

skategoat

You save LL Bean catalogs? That's funny! But it did come in handy.

The $778 did seemed ridiculous. Looking at the kildy 167 makes me think it's a "madd-lite" and I sort of wanted to try it as a BX board... luckily it's overpriced so I won't be tempted. Old technology anyway.

BTW, I saw a new Rossi Accelerator 158 alpine board on clearance at the LL bean outlet store in North Conway once. Not sure how it got there or if they actually stocked them.

OK fine, make me dig out my old llbean catalog. Bean listed the board at $599. They carried them in size 153, 159 and 167cm. Directly from the 1998 catalog.

Simply put, edge hold. I can ride my NSR or Kessler on days where my Madd 180 would have to stay home. And metal boards these days are striking a nice balance between lively and damp. I can get air between turns pretty easily and often.

Another factor is, metal boards generally have a larger "sweet spot". They are more forgiving about body position, and are generally easier to ride.

I would like to do a back-to-back between a metal and glass 171 though. Would be interesting.

You know Jack, it's funny. I have the Prior WCRM 183 and the WCR 173. Given good snow conditions, I prefer the standard glass board. Now don't get me wrong- I love the metal 183. It does indeed have better edge hold and is quite damp. But for my riding style, the glass board just seems...right. It's livelier and just an all around fun board. I do understand that the boards are 10 cm apart and will ride differently and I'm taking that into account. Guess I just need to try that Coiler of yours. ;-) maybe that's the happy medium.

And about the Bean catalogs- I guess I knew at the time that the Kildy was a different board so I saved that particular catalog. I don't have a stash of them hidden somewhere. Those would be my Buyer's Guides that go back to about 1993 or so. Yeah...I'm a dork. Don't care.